Going overtime - Do you do it?

Talk with other teachers, exchange tips, participate in polls regarding a teaching studio business

Postby Tranquillo » Sun Jul 13, 2008 6:39 pm

Over the years I have had different teachers. Some keep strictly to the clock and don't go a second overtime. Others are more free and don't mind going overtime. The current teacher I have believes that when any good student that puts in with work and effort, the teacher would then not mind going overtime. Some teachers go very strictly on time ... others don't what do you think?
Music is organised sound
Tranquillo

Postby Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Ed » Sun Jul 13, 2008 6:47 pm

It depends on the teacher's schedule. If there is no student directly following your lesson, then most teachers I know don't mind going a little over. If there is one directly following, then it isn't fair to the next student for the teacher to run too far overtime with you.
All religions, arts and sciences are branches of the same tree. All these aspirations are directed toward ennobling man's life, lifting it from the sphere of mere physical existence and leading the individual towards freedom. - Albert Einstein
Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Ed
Site Admin

Postby Tranquillo » Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:47 am

very true ... running overtime into someone else' lesson is a big no no. Some studios I have heard of keep too strict to a clock sometimes I wonder if they are there to teach. A student I knew had a teacher with 3 clocks. The clock was set exactly to half and hour and any minute overtime was taken out of the next lesson. If the teacher goes 5 or 10 minutes overtime then sometimes that had to be paid for.

One teacher I had had two clocks and a watch. One really big one she placed on the piano and one that ticked by my side and the watch she wore. She never went a second overtime no kidding ...

Then there was one teacher I had, he always overlapped his students ... he always had many many students. And went overly overtime that I really needed to go ... I was meant to be there for an hour ... I ended up there for three ... fustrated me at times but made me appreciate his efforts still because I really needed to go ... even when I told him I needed to go he would take his time ...
Music is organised sound
Tranquillo

Postby jenscott90 » Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:09 am

Going two hours overtime is an enormous amount and I'm surprised any teacher would have the spare time in their schedule to do it. Without knowing the specifics, I'm initially struck at two things: 1) How unprofessional it is to retain a student who repeats the need to leave after the allotted time has passed and 2) The fact that you stayed. :) Although I'm going to guess you didn't stand up and go because you didn't want to offend him, there certainly might be mixed messages in saying you need to leave and yet staying. So, next time I'd propose asking once and then repeating politely your schedule not allowing overtime for the lesson and gathering your things with a smile as you walk out the door. :)

It does require some confidence and some tact, and if someone is particularly unconfident or if the teacher is particularly overbearing, it could be difficult to achieve with no hard feelings, but going over by more than 10 or 15 minutes is, in my mind, an imposition on a student's (and the parents') schedules.

I personally keep my overages to 5 minutes unless I have specific permission for more, preferably prior to that lesson.
jenscott90

Postby Tranquillo » Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:32 am

jenscott90 wrote:Going two hours overtime is an enormous amount and I'm surprised any teacher would have the spare time in their schedule to do it. Without knowing the specifics, I'm initially struck at two things: 1) How unprofessional it is to retain a student who repeats the need to leave after the allotted time has passed and 2) The fact that you stayed. :) Although I'm going to guess you didn't stand up and go because you didn't want to offend him, there certainly might be mixed messages in saying you need to leave and yet staying. So, next time I'd propose asking once and then repeating politely your schedule not allowing overtime for the lesson and gathering your things with a smile as you walk out the door. :)

It does require some confidence and some tact, and if someone is particularly unconfident or if the teacher is particularly overbearing, it could be difficult to achieve with no hard feelings, but going over by more than 10 or 15 minutes is, in my mind, an imposition on a student's (and the parents') schedules.

I personally keep my overages to 5 minutes unless I have specific permission for more, preferably prior to that lesson.

That was my last teacher and during the third hour when on the second I'd start hearings stories on the history of his life. Got me tired thinking in my head "an occasional chat is fine, but I came her for piano lessons" ... I said I needed to go ... and he still took his time - he had no sense of time, so I repeated it ... and he paced things a bit. This last teacher I had Jen, was an older man past the age of retirement I really don't to generalize here but after the loss of his parents and not having a spouse or children and mainly teaching during the day - till late at night, he was loaded with many many students and I think that was basically his social life ... mind you this is my personal perspective, I've just tried to be real empathetic in his situation.

He was very unproffessional mind you - he overlapped his students and he did the dishes at the end of the day. He talked about the loss of his parents a lot and was very 'narrow-minded' in what was to be taught. He didn't help me at all with anything else apart from piano exams, even when I would request help he would say "I think we should really focus on this instead."

I was his last student ... at the end of the day but left him when I realized that enough was enough. So I changed, its funny I see a teacher that goes over now, but not ridiculously. Nothing exceeds an extra hour and often after that I would feel mentally drained from soaking everything in, the times when we have went over have often been in preparation for exams. I agree three hours is bananas!

I suppose overtime is also a cultural thing to, see in Australia there is this laid back sort of attitude, there is no real need to run around (even though we all have hectic lives) there is no real need to be somewhere ... ofcourse we do need to be at certain places at certain times - the general attitude is that there is no need to be in a hurry - just relax ...

Overtime often happens- in my case when I have worked hard over the week and I have practiced really hard. Sometimes on odd weeks when I barely put any work - its tempting to send me home early.

This is an interesting topic, thanks for the response Jen.
Music is organised sound
Tranquillo

Postby jenscott90 » Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:12 pm

I always thought I'd love to live in Australia, as I get that impression from various people I've seen or met, that they are enjoying life and take it as it comes. :) The busy bee mode we often get into, at least where I live in Illinois, is very frustrating for me.

Kudos to you for being there for him when he needed to talk...I'm sure it was an enormous blessing to him when he needed someone to remember his loved ones to.

Jen
jenscott90

Postby Tranquillo » Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:45 pm

jenscott90 wrote:I always thought I'd love to live in Australia, as I get that impression from various people I've seen or met, that they are enjoying life and take it as it comes. :) The busy bee mode we often get into, at least where I live in Illinois, is very frustrating for me.

Kudos to you for being there for him when he needed to talk...I'm sure it was an enormous blessing to him when he needed someone to remember his loved ones to.

Jen

:) You should come to visit here in Australia some time Jen ... I'm sure you'd enjoy it! I've been to the states before when I was younger but not Illinois. Wouldn't mind going back :;):

Enjoy your day Jen

Becibu
Music is organised sound
Tranquillo

Return to Running a Teaching Studio