Parental demands and balance - How do you handle demands from parents?

Talk with other teachers, exchange tips, participate in polls regarding a teaching studio business

Postby Stretto » Tue Nov 01, 2005 7:04 am

As a teacher, how do you handle "over-involved" parents? Perhaps the parent tries to have too much say in the lessons and what their child learns and how they learn it. Perhaps the parent never seems "satisfied" with the way things are going. Sometimes it may be unclear who is in control of the decisions for the student, the parent or the teacher. As a teacher, how do you take into consideration the parents wishes for the child in a balanced way without giving full reigns over to the parent? Do you think the teacher should have the "final" say in decision making for the student's learning? Do you have anything in your policy stating something to the effect that, "although imput from parent is welcome, the teacher will have the 'final decision' in the student's learning? What are your experiences?
Stretto

Postby pianoannie » Mon Nov 28, 2005 7:29 pm

[quote="Stretto"][/quote]
<<As a teacher, how do you handle "over-involved" parents? >>

I've only had one that I would actually call "over-involved." Oh my, what a nightmare.

<< Do you think the teacher should have the "final" say in decision making for the student's learning? >>

Of course. If there is not a fundamental level of trust that the parent has for the teacher, then why in the world would the parent be paying this teacher to, uh, *teach*?!

<<Do you have anything in your policy stating something to the effect that, "although imput from parent is welcome, the teacher will have the 'final decision' in the student's learning? >>

Yes, I have something very similar to that in my policy. It says:
"I am open to requests from the student or parent regarding specific music to study, but the final decision regarding appropriate music will be made by me."
pianoannie

Postby 108-1121887355 » Tue Nov 29, 2005 3:56 pm

An over-involved parent could be as hard as one who had no involvement. I do not have anything written; I guess I expect that when a parent chooses a teacher, he/she respects him or her, and unless there is real problem, the teacher should control the learning at the lesson. If the child is having a hard time at home, with the lesson or from a school or family situation, I would hope the parents would advise the teacher. I often make changes according to the needs of the child. If the parent is not satisfied, I would suggest that a new teacher be found.
108-1121887355

Return to Running a Teaching Studio