Multi-teacher studios - Anybody have experiences to share?

Talk with other teachers, exchange tips, participate in polls regarding a teaching studio business

Postby Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Ed » Sat Feb 03, 2007 10:20 am

It's probably fair to say that most piano teachers operate single-teacher studios. That said, there are many studios or academies "out there" that have multiple teachers. I have written several times in various locations on the site that running a multi-teacher studio is considerably more complicated (labor laws, bookkeeping, taxes, benefits, etc.), but don't know all the "ins and outs". Does anybody have any experience working in or running such a studio? If so, can you share some thoughts about it with us?
All religions, arts and sciences are branches of the same tree. All these aspirations are directed toward ennobling man's life, lifting it from the sphere of mere physical existence and leading the individual towards freedom. - Albert Einstein
Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Ed
Site Admin

Postby Dr. Bill Leland » Sat Feb 03, 2007 4:04 pm

Before getting her Master's degree in piano and ultimately joining the NMSU faculty, my wife rented a space in El Paso, hired a second piano teacher and a dance instructor, and ran a mini piano and dance academy for several years.

The percentage of fees that were to be divided between the teacher and the studio, piano maintenance, work hours, taxes and all the rest, had to be worked out. She was fortunate to find compatible and cooperative colleagues to work with; in fact, the second piano teacher welcomed all the help and suggestions she could get. (Unfortunately, though, a cousin, who also taught dance on the other side of town, decided that Melba was purposely competing with her and never spoke to her again. As it happened, it was no great loss.)

From what I know about it, it was a successful enterprise that was probably helped by the fact that the potential legal entanglements of 1960s El Paso, Texas, were less numerous and complex than they are today, in terms of necessary insurance, safeguards on the property, lawyer commercials urging people to sue over something or other, etc. Perhaps Dr. Zeigler could spell some of those complications out for us.

Dr. Bill Leland.
Technique is 90 per cent from the neck up.
Dr. Bill Leland

Postby Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Ed » Sat Feb 03, 2007 4:35 pm

Dr. Bill Leland wrote:From what I know about it, it was a successful enterprise that was probably helped by the fact that the potential legal entanglements of 1960s El Paso, Texas, were less numerous and complex than they are today, in terms of necessary insurance, safeguards on the property, lawyer commercials urging people to sue over something or other, etc. Perhaps Dr. Zeigler could spell some of those complications out for us.

I said explicitly in my original post that I don't know all the "ins and outs" of running a multi-teacher academy. That's the reason I posed the question here.

I do know that, as soon as you exceed a certain small number (somewhere between 3 and 10, depending on the matter in question) of employees, that the work load in complying with laws and regulations increases dramatically in any business. Above those thresholds, you have to worry about EEOC considerations, changes in the handling of capital equipment (pianos) for tax purposes, Workman's Comp, monthly, as opposed to quarterly, payroll tax filings, certification, and a host of other changes. You probably need help from an accountant and a good attorney, at a minimum. Running a small academy is a "whole other thing" from running a one teacher studio.
All religions, arts and sciences are branches of the same tree. All these aspirations are directed toward ennobling man's life, lifting it from the sphere of mere physical existence and leading the individual towards freedom. - Albert Einstein
Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Ed
Site Admin

Return to Running a Teaching Studio