World teachers day (piano teacher gifts) - What you they (you) like?

Talk with other teachers, exchange tips, participate in polls regarding a teaching studio business

Postby Tranquillo » Sat Sep 29, 2007 6:05 am

World teachers Day is coming up. I dont celebrate Christmas (because of religous reasons). I would like to show my appreciation to my piano teacher by giving him a gift and a card.
The problem is what is a good gift to a piano teacher?
What gifts do they like?
What gifts do you piano teachers like?
I am open to any ideas....
Music is organised sound
Tranquillo

Postby Tranquillo » Sat Sep 29, 2007 7:30 pm

,... get the feeling I'm talking to a brick wall ...
Music is organised sound
Tranquillo

Postby 112-1182392787 » Sun Sep 30, 2007 8:56 pm

Can you get a clue about what your teacher likes outside of music? For example, if he/she is totally into cats, some small thing with a cat theme? Or a music theme, of course. Actually I don't have any good ideas, but given your brick wall I thought I'd try to get the ball rolling. :cool:
112-1182392787

Postby Tranquillo » Mon Oct 01, 2007 3:49 am

hrmmm , of music in particular he is into Bach and Chopin .

Stuff outside of music ... organic foods...? Investigating on cures for dieseases ... ? He told me that he likes chocolate but he doesnt eat much because its bad ... I was thinking go simple get chocolate ... but he tells me how bad it is and how he must abstain .... any suggestions
Music is organised sound
Tranquillo

Postby 112-1182392787 » Mon Oct 01, 2007 6:59 am

So he's holistically-minded.
112-1182392787

Postby Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Ed » Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:45 am

Becibu wrote:The problem is what is a good gift to a piano teacher?
What gifts do they like?
What gifts do you piano teachers like?

Although this is an issue that I've talked about with many teachers all over the world, I've been a little hesitant to answer your question, since I'm not certain what the customs are in Australia. For example, "tipping" is usually not done in Australia, but expected here in the U.S. With that preface, let me relate some situations I am aware of.

Here, teachers get small gifts and "knick-knacks" all the time for various occasions. Although teachers appreciate the thought behind the gifts, they literally begin to run out room for gifts of that sort. Try to be a little creative in your choice of gifts.

Here are some alternatives:

A gift certificate for dinner for two at some restaurant the teacher likes. This should be within your budget, so long as you don't go for fine dining restaurants. You could also offer to have the teacher for dinner at your house, if you're on friendly terms with the teacher.

CD's of piano music by some artist the teacher is particularly fond of. Check out the teacher's collection if you can.

Tickets for a music performance.

Send a card and, along with it, include an offer to help organize a party, studio concert, or any other event that the teacher might need help with. You might be surprised how much time such events take for the teacher. I'll bet your teacher will appreciate the help.

Organize a recognition event (party) for all the teacher's students, at which you can all say thanks to the teacher.

Somewhere on the Board, I've provided a longer list of such things that students can do to help the piano teacher. I just can't put my fingers on it right now. When I find it, I'll add a link.
All religions, arts and sciences are branches of the same tree. All these aspirations are directed toward ennobling man's life, lifting it from the sphere of mere physical existence and leading the individual towards freedom. - Albert Einstein
Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Ed
Site Admin

Postby Tranquillo » Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:22 pm

Thankyou for that I will consider a few of those gift ideas! :)
Music is organised sound
Tranquillo

Postby Tarnia » Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:44 pm

Those are Some great ideas!

Well, specifically what I have gotten MY teacher...

-she is always complimenting me on my creative socks (I like socks with designs) and I saw a pair of the really nice, thick type she had been esp admiring with a music theme

-she likes flowers/gardening and I saw a particularly creative bamboo in the shape of a wishing well. Bamboo being easy to grow, I gave her that one year

-diabetic chocolates. Perhaps this would work for your teacher? Or the all natural type chocolate, think called nabob or something? I honestly can't remember if I do I will post it

-stickers, erasers etc. that she uses to motivate and reward students. You'd be surprised how much one person can spend on these and how hard it can be to find ones with appropriate designs...music themed for example.

I know this was mentioned, but a CD of a favourite performer or tickets to a performance/concert.

-does he wear ties? A creative music-themed tie if he doesn't already have a million of these:p

-I'm a former student at Guelph and I know one of the leading vets there just released a new book on infectious diseases I could prob get you the name if you are interested
Tarnia

Postby Tranquillo » Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:53 pm

Thankyou for that... the chocolate idea sounds brilliant I'm sure he'd enjoy organic/ diabetic chocolate.
As far as ties he mainly wears casual clothing - pair of jeans/ pants with polo shirt and sneakers.
The disease book sounds interesting ... he's into astronomy too so I that gives me an idea.
Thanks these are really bright ideas :)
Music is organised sound
Tranquillo

Postby M&m » Wed Oct 03, 2007 12:04 pm

My son's teacher is always drinking coffee so for his birthday I think we are going to get him a gift card from his favorite coffee shop. For Christmas I think we will just include a months tuition in a Christmas Card as a tip. I am glad you asked this Becibu. I am not sure what else to do. We also have a list of special needs teachers we do stuff for at school and privately so it adds up quick.
M&m

Postby Tranquillo » Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:52 pm

Gift vouchers is a great idea I might get one for the music store that he goes to ... keep the ideas rolling it there excellent! :)
Music is organised sound
Tranquillo

Postby Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Ed » Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:23 am

The links I promised earlier are: Gratuities for teachers and Taking an Active Role in Your Child's Piano Lessons. These have a few ideas for you, some of which I've already mentioned.
All religions, arts and sciences are branches of the same tree. All these aspirations are directed toward ennobling man's life, lifting it from the sphere of mere physical existence and leading the individual towards freedom. - Albert Einstein
Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Ed
Site Admin

Postby Tranquillo » Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:35 pm

Thanks a lot :)
Music is organised sound
Tranquillo

Return to Running a Teaching Studio