September is near! - First lesson after summer vacation

Talk with other teachers, exchange tips, participate in polls regarding a teaching studio business

Postby Christine » Tue Aug 28, 2007 6:34 pm

Hello everyone!

It has been a LONG time since I have posted and I miss the group! Ironically, it has been because I am teaching so much and currently working towards my ARCT. Every free minute has been for practice (of my own!) I cut my teaching schedule this year and hope to have a bit more free time. I was wondering if anyone could tell me what they do with their students for the "first lesson back" after summer holidays (assuming they did not take summer lessons)? I am speaking specifically about your returning students, not transfer students or new beginners. Is it automatic review (go back to older songs in the book and make them "re-do" them, etc.)?. Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Thanks everyone! :)
Christine

Postby Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Ed » Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:17 am

Welcome back!

I think what you do in the first lesson depends on whether the student has taken a "summer break" from lessons, which usually means a break from practicing, as well. Most teachers that I've talked to about this issue spend the first lesson with this sort of student just figuring out what has been lost/forgotten during the summer. It's not so much review as a quick analysis to determine specifically what ideas and what technique issues need to be covered again. That analysis need not necessarily take the entire first lesson.

I'm sure teachers will be able to give you first-hand info, but I wanted to say "hi" again. :)
All religions, arts and sciences are branches of the same tree. All these aspirations are directed toward ennobling man's life, lifting it from the sphere of mere physical existence and leading the individual towards freedom. - Albert Einstein
Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Ed
Site Admin

Postby Christine » Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:13 am

Thanks Dr. Zeigler,

It's good to be back! This week is a busy one planning for the new year, as I start teaching next Tuesday, after the long weekend. I want to plan some new activities for my students, but I'm not terribly creative. I want the kids to be excited to come back, not faced with "the same old stuff", so I don't want the first lesson to be strictly "review". I will also have to look for the thread relating to "creativity in the studio" as far as incentive charts, contests, fun activities, etc. I know that is in another location, so I will keep this thread specifically related to "the first lesson back". So many questions, so little time! :D
Christine

Postby Stretto » Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:45 am

Welcome back!

I don't really have a particular plan with returning students but most of mine have always continued during the summer although not as much gets accomplished. (The students I had this summer, I had them working on easier just for fun pieces that required less practice and doing some activities at the lesson).

For returning students, I would probably ask them if there are any of the pieces they've done they would like to play for me first and then go on to new music but try to have the new music be something that was a review of concepts and maybe not new concepts but new music. By how they played one might be able to access if they had played much over the summer. It would also depend on the age - very young students, say 7 and under, I would probably have them review but give them at least one new piece to start on. Maybe review but yet at least 1 or 2 new pieces the first week. Either way, I would start all students fresh on a new piece of some kind even if slightly easier than where they left off. Perhaps a new supplemental book being a good motivator to jumpstart lessons.

Edited By Stretto on 1188409772
Stretto

Return to Running a Teaching Studio