Prize giving

Talk with other teachers, exchange tips, participate in polls regarding a teaching studio business

Postby Mins Music » Mon Aug 16, 2004 6:57 pm

Ursie wrote: I wonder how successful the Holiday Practise Competition would be over the Christmas period. Do you find your students have a particular holiday period where they don't practise as much?

Over here, kids get five weeks off in late December/January. This is our Summer holidays. We usually refer to them as the 'Christmas' holidays. My studio shuts down for the entire five weeks for individual lessons. Depending on what I'm doing, this is when I have workshops, courses, etc. I've never run a competition over these five weeks. Kids go away and/or are doing other things with their family and friends.

I only have the practise competition once a year, usually during Winter as most families are still at home for the Winter holidays.

Since I've began the Student of the Week competition, my students practise has improved so much that I decided to start a 'Most improved practise" each week (based on percentage increase over the previous week) and also a chart for those who reach their goal. If you reach the goal for the week, you also get to have a 'guess' of how many m&m's are in a large jar. At the end of the term, the student with the closest guess wins the jar of m&m's. YUMMM!!! Needless to say, the jar is SEALED and WRAPPED with clear cellophone, otherwise there wouldn't be any left!! (I'm a bit of a chocoholic....)
"I forget what I was taught, I only remember what I've learnt." - Patrick White, Australian novelist.
Mins Music

Previous

Return to Running a Teaching Studio