Finding new students

Talk with other teachers, exchange tips, participate in polls regarding a teaching studio business

Postby 115-1118687279 » Tue Jun 14, 2005 9:49 am

Any ideas on how and where to get the word out that you are teaching piano lessons other than "word of mouth"? I have been teaching just one beginner student for about a year now and I want to take on more students. How effective is a web site?
115-1118687279

Postby Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Ed » Tue Jun 14, 2005 11:19 am

Welcome, Char!

You can find an article which covers finding students on PEP: Establishing a New Teaching Studio. There are lots of other articles of interest to teachers on our Teaching Studio page. Several deal with piano studio web sites. I'm sure others can give you good advice and counsel, as well. :)
All religions, arts and sciences are branches of the same tree. All these aspirations are directed toward ennobling man's life, lifting it from the sphere of mere physical existence and leading the individual towards freedom. - Albert Einstein
Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Ed
Site Admin

Postby pianoannie » Wed Jun 15, 2005 7:13 pm

Here are various ways I've heard of:
Newspaper ad
Homeschool group's newsletter
Do a free music class at a library, pass out business cards
Leave business cards everywhere (dance studios, pediatrician office, grocery bulletin board)
Advertising magnet on car, or window decal on car
Join a local teacher's group (by networking, other teachers may send you their overflow)
Volunteer at local schools as accompanist, etc, and let the music teachers know that you teach piano.
Let local music stores know that you want students.
Do a free summer piano camp for a week, and have your newspaper cover your event.
Mention that you teach piano to *everyone* (it's amazing how I've learned to work that into conversation with strangers at the grocery, etc).
Find opportunities to perform in your community (and of course have business cards to hand out)
pianoannie

Return to Running a Teaching Studio