School breaks and lessons - Do you give lessons over school breaks?

Talk with other teachers, exchange tips, participate in polls regarding a teaching studio business

Postby Stretto » Wed Dec 21, 2005 3:07 pm

With Christmas coming up and kids getting out of school for winter break, I was wondering what other teachers do as far as giving lessons during winter break and spring break. Do you keep regular lesson times or reschedule since school-age students may be home during the day? Do you cancel lessons during the break? Do you charge for lessons students miss during the break?

I used to try to hold lessons during winter and spring break but usually rescheduled them during the day when possible. It seems though that since routines are out of sync, parents sometimes forget about the lesson. Some of course are out of town. Some have wanted to cancel to give their kids (and themselves) a break from everything. I haven't charged lesson fees for those who will miss over winter and spring break. I have had trouble with parents wishing to have a lesson during that time waiting up to the last minute to schedule a lesson or forgetting the lesson they scheduled. So I decided to just cancel all lessons during the break otherwise anyone wishing to have a lesson is welcome to call and schedule one.

What does everyone else do?
Stretto

Postby 108-1121887355 » Thu Dec 22, 2005 11:39 am

No lessons - everyone needs a break. I have never scheduled lessons over the holidays. Many people do go away and as you mentioned schedules are different. I think everyone needs time to go at a different, less hectic, I hope, pace.

Happy Holidays!

:D
108-1121887355

Postby Tranquillo » Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:50 am

I dont teach but my teacher issues a break over the holidays. The holidays work differently here in Australia ... after every 10 weeks we have a two week break and at the end of every year we get a 6 week break along with public holidays and weekends too :)

My teacher doesnt teach during the school breaks ... or during public holidays ... but he teachs during the break if students have exams.

Its not a problem when he doesnt teach during school holidays but when he has to rearrange due to public holidays that can be a pain in the neck ... :(
Music is organised sound
Tranquillo

Return to Running a Teaching Studio