Donating music books and supplies?

Talk with other teachers, exchange tips, participate in polls regarding a teaching studio business

Postby PennyJo » Thu Sep 21, 2006 7:51 pm

I am retiring from piano teaching. I have a plethora of music books and teaching aids (as I'm sure you all do!) I have tried selling these things to other area teachers, but I still have a LOT left.

I'm thinking of donating my books and supplies to a charitable organization, but I don't know where to find one that would take these books. Last year I sent several boxes of books down to Louisiana, but the LMTA is no longer accepting books.

Any ideas?
PennyJo

Postby Stretto » Fri Sep 22, 2006 11:21 pm

The local university I attended has a music library and takes donations so you could check to see if any college music libraries would be interested.

After I graduated I called about the use of the music library for alumni and the requirement was a small fee or the donation of one music book.

Or what about passing it down to any students who may be interested in it?
Stretto

Postby 108-1121887355 » Sun Sep 24, 2006 10:44 am

I recently gave away two bags of music books to a young teacher starting out. She was over joyed! You might check for local teachers and ask them if they would like to buy or take some music. There are always yard sales and church fairs. I have donated music there, and much of it sells. (25 - 50 cents is better than nothing and you can feel your books are helping someone to enjoy music.
108-1121887355

Postby Stretto » Sun Sep 24, 2006 4:01 pm

loveapiano wrote:There are always yard sales and church fairs. I have donated music there, and much of it sells. (25 - 50 cents is better than nothing and you can feel your books are helping someone to enjoy music.

I am not person to shop frequently at flea markets but on the occasions I have been to them, I've seen some music books and sheet music for sale. I think I even picked up a couple books at a flea market before. So it's another place to check.
Stretto

Postby Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Ed » Wed Oct 18, 2006 10:27 am

My wife and I have many books, not necessarily music only, to disposition. While some book stores will buy used books, they will usually not buy non-fiction of any sort. In that case however, we have found that donations to local non-profit (502.c.3) reading program's libraries are much appreciated and desperately needed. Typically, they want exactly the kind of non-fiction books that the bookstores refuse to buy and that the public library doesn't want either. If you have a local reading program (the one here is called "Read West"), give them a call. You may find that they'll snap up your materials and give you a receipt for a tax deduction, as well. :D
All religions, arts and sciences are branches of the same tree. All these aspirations are directed toward ennobling man's life, lifting it from the sphere of mere physical existence and leading the individual towards freedom. - Albert Einstein
Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Ed
Site Admin

Postby Dr. Bill Leland » Fri Oct 20, 2006 9:00 pm

I have regretted for many months that I have a small library of early and intermediate teaching repertoire at home that is no longer being used. I don't believe our university library would be interested, and the local teacher association was disbanded years ago. Any ideas?

Bill L.
Technique is 90 per cent from the neck up.
Dr. Bill Leland

Postby Stretto » Sat Oct 21, 2006 4:11 pm

Has anyone ever tried selling anything on e-bay or similar? Would that be a feasible avenue to get rid of music books? There's a place in town that will sell on e-bay for a person for a fee. I checked on it to get rid of some other household items and it didn't sound like too bad of a deal although I hadn't tried it yet. I'm planning to round up some things and try it.

Also I think I read somewhere once probably on their website that Boys and Girls Town gives lessons to students. Perhaps they could use some music to teach students from.

There's a few books I'd be interested in getting copies of on my "wish list" if anyone has any they need to get rid of depending on if the price you'd want plus postage would be less than my buying them new. If interested pm me and I'll send you the list of what I'm interested in. One of the main one's is Bastien Piano Literature: First Piano Repertoire Album and Bastien Piano Lit. Vol.'s 1-4. There's some others in the Bastien and David Carr Glover series primarly piano lit., and one's with famous melodies or folk tunes. Possibly early interm. to interm from the Denes Agay series.

Also I have a lot of trouble finding books with old folk tunes like Stephen Foster folk tunes or similar in the intermediate levels.

Edited By Stretto on 1161529074
Stretto

Postby Tranquillo » Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:05 pm

Well if anyone were in Australia there is a shop called Da Capo ... it sells second hand music books and buys music books too.
Music is organised sound
Tranquillo

Return to Running a Teaching Studio