Top board threads - A look back

Explore a new topic relevant to piano education monthly

Moderator: Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Ed

Postby Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Ed » Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:06 am

For those who might be visiting as Guests or who haven't been members for long, I thought it might be interesting to compile a list of the Board threads which have generated the most interest and replies (more than 30 replies). Following, linked for quick reading are those threads, garnered from all over the Board:

Topic Topic Starter

Learning musicality Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Editor
My favorite piano Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Editor
Rote teaching loveapiano
What are you working on? Stretto
Favourite pieces Mins Music
Marketing your studio Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Editor
Relaxation Dr. Bill Leland
Favourite composer Mins Music
What is "good music"? Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Editor
Dear violinist Mins Music
What makes a great piano teacher? Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Editor
What should quality piano lessons include? Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Editor
Bach's 2-part inventions Stretto
Scheduling make-ups Christine
How did you get started? Quidam
Prize-giving Ursie
Keyboards and piano lessons Stretto
The pitfalls of digital pianos Christine
Piano hygiene PianoPatty
Encouraging practice Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Editor
Non-U.S. Lessons Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Editor
What makes a piano teacher "successful"? Dr. John M. Zeigler

Visitors may also want to take a look at Favorite board threads. Note that Guests will be able to read many, but not all, of these threads. Although this is an unusual topic for Topic of Note, in that it doesn't really ask for opinions and views, I would encourage anyone to comment on the post or the threads. :cool:

P.S. See below for additional threads with 25 or more replies!

Edited By Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Editor on 1239116782
All religions, arts and sciences are branches of the same tree. All these aspirations are directed toward ennobling man's life, lifting it from the sphere of mere physical existence and leading the individual towards freedom. - Albert Einstein
Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Ed
Site Admin

Postby 112-1182392787 » Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:53 am

As a relative newcomer, thank you for the overview. I already see some threads of interest that I might have missed otherwise.
112-1182392787

Postby Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Ed » Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:02 am

Thanks for the "attaboy!"

If there's any interest, I could expand this list to include those threads with between 20 and 30 replies. There are a number of very valuable threads in that group. It just takes a long time to do (about 2 hours for the initial list) when one is providing working links to the threads. :)
All religions, arts and sciences are branches of the same tree. All these aspirations are directed toward ennobling man's life, lifting it from the sphere of mere physical existence and leading the individual towards freedom. - Albert Einstein
Site Admin

Postby Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Ed » Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:13 am

Here are some more threads with 25 or more replies. I think I'll stop here, because there are simply too many threads to list with more than 20 replies. I would encourage anyone to look around to find them, as well.

Topic Topic Starter

Teaching theory Stretto
The future of piano Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Editor
Piano Education Page 10th anniversary year Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Editor
How much do you charge for lessons per hour? Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Editor
How much non-teaching time do you work? pianoannie
Levels Balletqueen1313
Relaxation Stretto
Memorizing: advantages when performing Stretto
Preventing performance nerves InspiredPianist
Who are your favorite pianists? Beckywy
Beginnings IPlayTheViolinSoThere
What makes a piano teacher "successful"? Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Editor

See the first post in this thread for threads with 30 or more replies

Edited By Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Editor on 1208277545
Site Admin

Postby Stretto » Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:49 pm

What about threads that have had the most number of readers? Do the ones listed correspond with those?

It was a great idea to list the above threads! :cool:

Edited By Stretto on 1188503438
Stretto

Postby Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Ed » Thu Aug 30, 2007 2:12 pm

Stretto wrote:What about threads that have had the most number of readers? Do the ones listed correspond with those?

While there is some correlation between the number of views and the number of replies, the number of views depends strongly on the length of time the thread has been up and whether the thread is in a forum open to Guests or not. A good example of the difference is the "What is good music?" thread. It is the most replied-to thread on the Board, but has a tenth the number of views of some old threads because it is less than a month old.

I listed the topic starters because I think they deserve some special credit for coming up with topics that people are interested in. It's really hard to come up with good topics that cause people to think or to stretch their teaching and learning concepts. Kudos to all those who have started these (and other) threads. :cool:

Edited By Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Editor on 1188658904
Site Admin

Postby Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Ed » Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:29 am

Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Editor wrote:there are simply too many threads to list with more than 20 replies. I would encourage anyone to look around to find them, as well.

It occurred to me that some people might not have figured out how to get a quick list of the topics (threads) with the most posts. Here's how: Enter the topic list by clicking on the Forum name. Once there, you'll see a list of topics. At the bottom of that list, you'll find a set of three drop-down menus laid out horizontally. Make sure the first is set to "number of replies", the second to "descending order", and the third to "the beginning", then click go. This will give you a list of all the threads in that forum ranked by number of replies from the most replies to the least. You can continue this process for any other forum on the site that interests you and to which you have access privileges (all of them for Members, about a third for Guests).
Site Admin

Return to Topic of Note