Indispensable piano literature - What would you list?

Explore a new topic relevant to piano education monthly

Moderator: Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Ed

Postby vetandmom » Wed Aug 30, 2006 8:02 pm

To be honest, I'm not the biggest fan of classical music myself (please don't ex-communicate me!), but I would like to expose my 3, 6 1/2, and 10 1/2 year old children to it, especially since I am their piano teacher!

Other than the classical kids series (Beethoven Lives Upstairs, Vivaldi's Ring of Mystery etc) previously mentioned, does anyone else have a favorite CD for kids?

Thanks!
vetandmom

Postby Mins Music » Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:40 pm

vetandmom wrote:does anyone else have a favorite CD for kids?

Thanks!

I Loved the 'Mad About Series from the German classical label: Deutsche Grammophon. For kids, my favourite would be :Mad About Cartoons -music used in Bugs Bunny, Disney, Nickelodeon etc.

Here is a list of what is on this CD:
William Tell Overture by Rossini
Ride of the Valkryies by Wagner
The Flying Dutchman by Wagner
Largo Al Factotum by rossini
Hungarian Dance No.5 by Brahms
The Barber of Saville by Rosinni
Hungarian Rhapsody No.2 by Liszt/Doppier
Lucia Di Lammermoor by Donizetti
Blue Danube Waltz by Strauss
Minute Waltz by Chopin
Anvil Chorus by Verdi
Toccata in D minor by Bach
Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy by Tchaikovsky
Anitra's Dance by Grieg
Dance of the Hours by Ponchielli
Dance of the Flutes by Tchaikovsky
The Sorcerer's Apprentice by Dukas

It also has list of the cartoons these pieces have appeared in. I know they're not piano music - but I actually think it's easier to introduce kids to classical via the orchestra anyway. (I gave the list, because I haven't seen the actual series in years, it may be hard for you to find)

Another great CD especially for kids comes from the CLASSICS FOR KIDS site: i have volume 2 - they sent it all the way to Australia to me for free!! (Don't know what they're doing these days). If you'd like to know what's on this CD, let me know....
"I forget what I was taught, I only remember what I've learnt." - Patrick White, Australian novelist.
Mins Music

Postby vetandmom » Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:21 am

Thanks Mins Music,

I just ordered the Mad About Cartoons CD off the Amazon.ca website (it's on the Amazon.com one as well). :D
vetandmom

Postby LK123 » Thu Aug 31, 2006 2:47 pm

Another CD my kids have enjoyed is Peter and the Wolf (the version I have was narrated by Sting). I am taking them all to see it this year when the Calgary Philharmonic puts it on - and yes the headbanging teenager insisted on getting a ticket too!
LK123

Previous

Return to Topic of Note