The pep tenth anniversary - How have you used PEP?

Explore a new topic relevant to piano education monthly

Moderator: Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Ed

Postby Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Ed » Wed Jul 27, 2005 10:04 am

I thought that it might be useful, in honor of The Piano Education Page's tenth anniversary, to have a topic where people could place comments about how the site has helped them, suggestions for additions/changes, or just say thanks to all the people who have done so much unpaid work to make the site available. So, if there is something you would like to say or an observation about the site you would like to have people comment upon, post it here. Thanks for your comments and for visiting PEP! :cool:

Edited By Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Editor on 1126369615
All religions, arts and sciences are branches of the same tree. All these aspirations are directed toward ennobling man's life, lifting it from the sphere of mere physical existence and leading the individual towards freedom. - Albert Einstein
Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Ed
Site Admin

Postby 65-1074818729 » Sat Aug 13, 2005 5:48 pm

I discovered the Piano Education Page (PEP) about seven years ago, about the same time I started piano lessons. Since that time, I have gone there often to read the various articles on “FAQs”, biographies of composers, links to other sites of interest and so on. I spent a lot of time at the web site, but I never did get through all of the material. I have been going there frequently ever since.

I suggest you read the article The Piano Education Page - Ten Years Ago to get a grasp of how this site came about. It is apparent that a lot of effort and time has been committed by many people to reach this point.

When the PEP Message Board was started, I found myself reading through the various threads and found that this was also an excellent source of information. Frequently, music teachers would pose questions about specific problems, and I was often impressed with the ingenuity and depth of many of the responses, often from other music teachers who understood the problems. I never really thought much about what challenges and problems teachers can face. I have been impressed with the determination and dedication that many of the teachers have displayed. I have gained a whole new respect for music teachers.

For me, PEP has been an excellent source of QUALITY information.

On this, the tenth anniversary of PEP, I would like to say CONGRATULATIONS to Dr. Zeigler and all those who helped with the development of this site.
65-1074818729

Postby Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Ed » Mon Aug 15, 2005 7:42 am

Thanks, AFlat for your kind comments and congratulations. :cool:

You're right that it has been a LOT of work to put together and run PEP - for me and a lot of other people. One of the reasons I added this forum is that I think it is valuable for our authors to get a chance to see what people think of their work and how much they appreciate it. I hope others will post their observations about the site and how they use it here - both to "reward" those who are responsible for the site and, perhaps, give others ideas on how they might use the site in different ways.
All religions, arts and sciences are branches of the same tree. All these aspirations are directed toward ennobling man's life, lifting it from the sphere of mere physical existence and leading the individual towards freedom. - Albert Einstein
Site Admin

Postby Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Ed » Fri Sep 09, 2005 7:41 am

Anybody have any objections to me moving this thread to the Topic of Note Forum? I had hoped that having a special 10th anniversary forum would encourage people to tell us how they use PEP and, perhaps, consider thanking all the people who make it possible, but the forum doesn't seem to have generated much interest. :(

If there are no objections. I'll move the thread later today and delete the forum.

Edited By Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Editor on 1126369665
Site Admin

Postby Lyndall » Sat Sep 10, 2005 8:25 am

10 years is quite a committment for all those involved from the start - well done for your perserverance alone. And being unpaid makes these efforts even more amazing.

I agree with Aflat in that this site offers quality advice because of contributions from people who have had so much experience. I too have found there is so much info that it's easy to get sidetracked reading a particular topic because of all the links - my curiosity gets piqued too much sometimes!

The Teaching Studio articles have been particularly useful for me, starting up a studio after a 10 year hiatus. Likewise the Message Board is where I get a lot of good ideas on what to & what not to do & the interaction with other teachers/ students/ parents is useful.

Congratulations & keep up the excellent work.
Lyndall

Postby Stretto » Sun Sep 11, 2005 10:56 am

Sorry I have not posted on this topic before now. Everyone is probably aware how lengthy some of my posts are and I didn't know how I could reply to this topic without writing a book on all the ways I appreciate the site, etc. I've been afraid I could be here all day trying to post my "thanks". So I will attempt to write a "shorter" thank you.

It never ceases to amaze me the vast amount of sacraficial volunteer time and resources spent toward this site. I am amazed that the server including all involved in this realm provide their volunteer service and time. Dr. Zeigler, I am amazed how you put so much of your personal time and resources into this site and for these many years. I was awed at one post you made a while back stating how much money you have put into this site out of your own pocket. I don't see how you keep all going that you do without total burnout. I am amazed how personable you and your wife are and others involved in responding to e-mails and the respect and personal attention given to everyone participating and sending e-mails. I would think responding to the e-mails alone would take up your whole day. I am amazed at all the professors and others in the music field volunteering their time in articles, reviews, etc. Thank you so much, Dr. Leland, for your continuous contribution to this site via articles, "Muzine", reviews, participating in the message board, etc. I also thank all of you who participate regularly in the forums on the message board as that was a big drawing card to this site for me is the ability to exchange ideas and tips with other students, teachers, and anyone involved and interested in the music/piano world. Thanks so much, Dr. Zeigler, for the article A-flat already made a link to in his post. "The Piano Education Page - 10 Years Ago". This article really gave me a solid perspective and understanding of what goes into this site and the history behind it, all the people dedicated to it that before the article I just had a vague idea of these things.
The other thing I appreciate about this site is the family atmosphere, and dedication to quality. I feel "safe" coming here and recommending the site to students and others without wondering if they are going to come across "junk" in various forms via commercial ads or forum posts, etc. I appreciate this site as a truly EDUCATIONAL site.

Considering all the volunteer help that goes into PEP, I think it would be neat if it has not already been done to have a short monthly volunteer "biography" section on PEP which would feature a different volunteer person each month, tell thier history and interest in music/piano and their history/interest/and volunteer aspects of PEP. It would give everyone a lot better in depth view of what each individual contributes.

Finally, to those reading "Topic of Note" regularly on the PEP Message Board and those who are already members, I would encourage you all to participate, if able, more frequently in the forums even if just once a month. Considering how much the "Topic of Note" forum is read, there could be a lot more exchange of valuable ideas from all of you if you would participate even as a guest just in "Topic of Note". I would really like to hear more ideas, thoughts, and opinions from students, parents, teachers, those in music education including more professors. It is suprising to me that there are not more teachers participating in the forums. We really need more of you to participate to get some good ideas generated. I think if you read the "Topic of Note" regularly and are able to participate some, it is the least you could do to post, if able, in "exchange" for all the free help you receive from PEP. As another member once told me, you don't have to be out to win an essay/writing contest on the forum, it's your thoughts, ideas, and opinions that count.

Thanks again to all.

Stretto

Edited By Stretto on 1126459081
Stretto

Postby Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Ed » Tue Sep 13, 2005 7:16 am

Stretto wrote:Considering all the volunteer help that goes into PEP, I think it would be neat if it has not already been done to have a short monthly volunteer "biography" section on PEP which would feature a different volunteer person each month, tell thier history and interest in music/piano and their history/interest/and volunteer aspects of PEP. It would give everyone a lot better in depth view of what each individual contributes.

Finally, to those reading "Topic of Note" regularly on the PEP Message Board and those who are already members, I would encourage you all to participate, if able, more frequently in the forums even if just once a month. Considering how much the "Topic of Note" forum is read, there could be a lot more exchange of valuable ideas from all of you if you would participate even as a guest just in "Topic of Note". I would really like to hear more ideas, thoughts, and opinions from students, parents, teachers, those in music education including more professors. It is suprising to me that there are not more teachers participating in the forums. We really need more of you to participate to get some good ideas generated. I think if you read the "Topic of Note" regularly and are able to participate some, it is the least you could do to post, if able, in "exchange" for all the free help you receive from PEP. As another member once told me, you don't have to be out to win an essay/writing contest on the forum, it's your thoughts, ideas, and opinions that count.

Thanks again to all.

Stretto

As usual, Stretto, your post is filled with interesting observations and useful suggestions. I have given some thought to featuring volunteers on a regular basis; the only problem I have with that relates to matters of security and privacy. Perhaps I'm off-base on this, but I think that many people would not like having their photos and bios read all over the world. That said, I'd love to be able to take your suggestion on that matter.

Your comments and suggestions about participation are right on. I know of no friendlier or more open board for pianists and teachers than this one. Although we draw the line at libelous and overly commercial (advertisements) posts, just about any music or piano-related topic is acceptable and encouraged. If people don't want to start topics, they can just reply. As you pointed out, posters don't have to be able to write deathless prose (as this post proves), they just have to have a comment to make, question to ask, or wish to give others the benefit of their knowledge and experience. Moreover, those who participate frequently are often given the opportunity to moderate, which gives them even more influence over the content of the Board.

Thanks for your expression of gratitude. It helps those of us who spend our free time working to bring the site to others. That said, let me reiterate that I started this topic also to hear from others how they use the site. This is not only for my edification, but should also provide valuable tips for those who may be new to the Board or the site. Learning how people use the site also helps me in planning new content. :)
Site Admin

Return to Topic of Note