Private lessons obsolete? - Can multimedia do the job?

Explore a new topic relevant to piano education monthly

Moderator: Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Ed

Postby 84-1100562084 » Mon Nov 15, 2004 5:59 pm

Hello all,
I was searching the internet, and i stumbled across this community. I'm 16 and ive been playing piano for about 9 years now, and rarely ever get to discuss it with most of my friends. I just began teaching about 3 months ago. I hope i can offer a different perspective, and get some of yours. I'm intrigued by the depth of this site and hope ill fit in all right around here.

In response to your question,

I find that in my own experience private lessons come first while technology is just an aide. Even as technology increases to points we cannot fathom, music can not be taught by machine. As lame as it sounds music has a soul, and there is no machine that can teach soul. The programs that have been developed are extremely useful tools for musical theory, yet as Dr. Leland states these programs cannot pick up on things that only another human can. I consider myself fairly tech savvy, but there is no way i can see these technologies becoming a replacement for one on one lessons.

--Chris--
84-1100562084

Postby Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Ed » Tue Nov 16, 2004 8:25 am

The piano man wrote:I'm 16 and ive been playing piano for about 9 years now, and rarely ever get to discuss it with most of my friends. I just began teaching about 3 months ago. I hope i can offer a different perspective, and get some of yours. I'm intrigued by the depth of this site and hope ill fit in all right around here.

Welcome, piano man!

We talk about piano all the time around here, so we hope you'll continue to participate in the discussions. You can find just about any piano-related topic talked about on the Message Board and/or on the other parts of The Piano Education Page. :)
All religions, arts and sciences are branches of the same tree. All these aspirations are directed toward ennobling man's life, lifting it from the sphere of mere physical existence and leading the individual towards freedom. - Albert Einstein
Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Ed
Site Admin

Postby Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Ed » Thu May 10, 2007 10:48 am

Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Editor wrote:Interestingly enough, the technology exists now, and has existed for several years (built into Windows XP) for students to use your lab computer form their home computer at any time that works for them. It's called Virtual Private Networking and is widely used in business now. Basically the VPN software creates an encrypted "tunnel" through the Internet that allows any authorized user to sign onto the studio network computer from their home computer as if they were in the studio, using their internet connection. Because the network packets are encrypted, it's completely private.

I just wanted to mention that the VPN technology that I mentioned some months ago as a way for students to get lesson drill remotely from your studio computer(s) is available now for free from http://www.instant-vpn.com/. This might be a good way to try out the technology for those who are interested in trying it in their studio. This software won a PC Magazine award not long ago. Whether you use it with students or not, it provides a neat, encrypted way of accessing your computers remotely. :)
All religions, arts and sciences are branches of the same tree. All these aspirations are directed toward ennobling man's life, lifting it from the sphere of mere physical existence and leading the individual towards freedom. - Albert Einstein
Site Admin

Postby 108-1121887355 » Fri May 11, 2007 2:09 pm

If you have windows! I do not - have a Mac mini. :(
108-1121887355

Postby Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Ed » Fri May 11, 2007 2:28 pm

loveapiano wrote:If you have windows! I do not - have a Mac mini. :(

There are lots of free VPN clients for the Macintosh that run natively, in addition to others that will run in an emulator. Just search Google for "VPN Macintosh free software" to find links to them. Most require OS X, which I think you probably have.
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Topic of Note