Why do you take piano lessons? - Fun, challenge, love of music, had to?

Explore a new topic relevant to piano education monthly

Moderator: Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Ed

Postby Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Ed » Thu Sep 02, 2004 8:19 am

Piano lessons cost money and take lots of time, both for the lessons and the practice time to prepare for them. Yet, people are taking lessons in record numbers. Even most teachers of piano take lessons at least occasionally. What makes piano lessons important for you? Did your parents make you? Do you just want exposure to good music? Do you enjoy the instrument? If you're a parent, why was taking lessons important for your child? Would you encourage others to learn piano? There is no one right answer and no wrong ones, so let us know why you think lessons are important enough to invest your time and money. :cool:
All religions, arts and sciences are branches of the same tree. All these aspirations are directed toward ennobling man's life, lifting it from the sphere of mere physical existence and leading the individual towards freedom. - Albert Einstein
Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Ed
Site Admin

Postby 65-1074818729 » Mon Sep 06, 2004 4:47 pm

I am responding to the subject of piano lessons from the perspective of an older student.

I am one of those who started learning piano on my own with an array of “teach yourself piano” books. I thought I was doing OK for awhile, but after a year or so, I was just not making any progress. I was learning new pieces all right, however my technique, skills, etc. were just not improving.

I decided to try a few piano lessons from a professional to see how it went.

That was almost seven years ago and I have been taking lessons continuously ever since. Presently I am working on my grade seven following the Royal Conservatory system.

My present plans are to continue taking piano lessons for as long as I continue to play the piano. The reasons are as follows.

(a) The learning process is much faster when a competent teacher is there to demonstrate and explain proper procedures, correct poor habits before they start, etc.

(b) When taking piano lessons, there is really no time to take a break. Practice must be daily, and I certainly want to make some progress before my next lesson. If I was not taking lessons, my practice probably would not be as disciplined as it currently is, and therefore not enjoy the same amount of progress. After all, much of the enjoyment in learning to play a musical instrument is making progress.

© Piano lessons in my area are reasonably priced. The going rate here for 45 minutes is $21.00 Cdn.

Presently, my intentions are to finish grade eight under the RCM system and then perhaps seek instruction in jazz, blues etc. But the bottom line for me is that I do not foresee a time when I will not want to continue taking piano lessons.
:D

Edited By AFlat on 1094510952
65-1074818729

Postby pianoannie » Wed Sep 08, 2004 7:51 pm

A flat,
I enjoyed your post and could write nearly the same things regarding my own reasons for being in piano lessons, especially the discipline of daily practice.
As a piano teacher myself, it's easy to get so focused on my students' pieces that I neglect to challenge myself with new pieces. So having my own teacher provides that challenge. There is always more to learn and improve on.
Also, I love the opportunity to bounce ideas and questions off another teacher, regarding particular pieces, students who struggle, how to approach various problems, etc.
And also, since I teach only children and teens right now, I absolutely love having another adult to talk about piano with!
pianoannie

Postby 81-1074658942 » Fri Sep 10, 2004 12:11 pm

Part of the reason why I take piano lessons is simply the fact that I have taken lessons for the past nine years and stopping would just feel really strange at this point! I'm still in highschool, and I'm planning on becoming a music major, so I really need someone to help me along. Sometimes I'll have to go for a while without lessons during the summer and it drives me crazy. I make much better progress when I have lessons. There is an awful lot I don't know yet, so having a teacher is really valuable.
81-1074658942

Postby 75-1095335090 » Fri Oct 22, 2004 8:17 am

I started taking lessons when I was really young because my brother was and I had to do everything that he did (you know how it is). I didn't practice a whole lot, and after a couple of years my teacher died of cancer (which I didn't really understand at the time).

We always had a piano in the house and I spent hours at it. Not sure what I did when I was playing the piano in those years, but I ended up learning to read music well enough to go through some beginner books on my own.

When I was around 11 years old I started lessons again. I had been saying for years that I wanted to do it again, but my mom had left it up to me to find a teacher. Eventually I heard of a place that gave keyboard lessons (which I thought would be much cooler than piano lessons) and signed up. My parents bought me a keyboard and off I went. (After the first year my teacher determined that I would do well at piano rather than keyboards, and so we switched from the keyboard at home to a digital piano, which apparently everyone on the planet knew was going to happen except for me and my teacher. lol)

After about 8 years of lessons I hit a wall, musically, and found I really wasn't progressing, no matter what I tried, or what my teachers tried. I went to university as a music major on the trumpet, but continued the piano lessons the first year.

Dropped out of the music program, stopped taking piano lessons, then moved to another city. I had taught a few piano lessons and found that I liked it. Before I moved I took a year of teacher training.

Anyhow, now it's about 5 years since I took lessons and I've started up again. Before I was in Technics Music Academy (went up to Level 6) and now I'm in Royal Conservatory of Music grade 8.

Why did I take lessons before? First, because my brother was... then because I really really wanted to... I loved playing the piano and I wanted to learn more than I already knew about it. Now, I want to improve my technique so that I can pass the audition for university on the piano in about 3 years. Eventual goal: Bachelor of Music with a Diploma in Business.
75-1095335090

Postby 75-1095335090 » Fri Oct 22, 2004 8:20 am

And of course, after typing all of that, I thought of a shorter way to say it:

I'm taking lessons because I want to be better at it. Because taking music away from me would be like taking an arm away.

(Wouldn't we all love to have students like that? ^_-)
75-1095335090

Return to Topic of Note