Mac "Q's" - Error & OS Version

Get help, exchange tips, replace software or just talk

Mac "Q's" - Error & OS Version

Postby ALRUI » Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:58 pm

Hi Folks - Tried to revive the old Miracle Piano for my son, the disks seem to be fine but I'm getting an error stating a file is missing during install, any ideas? Also I'm trying to install on a G3 running OS9, I believe when we bought this new back in 91 or so it was probably running on OS 7. Oh yea one last "Q", what was the last version for the Mac version? I have an envelope with an upgrade disk from Software Toolworks that contains an upgrade to version 1.35 is that the latest & greatest or????

Thanks for any input in advance!
ALRUI

Re: Mac "Q's" - Error & OS Version

Postby Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Ed » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:12 am

Let's see - if you can provide proof of ownership, you can get a single replacement disk (as a ZIP attachment to e-mail) by proving ownership with a photo of your disks. See our Miracle FAQ for more information. I think 1.35 was the last and most common version for Mac. The Miracle software runs OK on all OS's up through 9.x. It has problems with OS X (all versions) that have not been solved to my knowledge.
All religions, arts and sciences are branches of the same tree. All these aspirations are directed toward ennobling man's life, lifting it from the sphere of mere physical existence and leading the individual towards freedom. - Albert Einstein
Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Ed
Site Admin

Postby ALRUI » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:59 pm

Hi John - Thanks for the reply, through some experimentation with old hardware I verified that the disks were in fact A-OK, after which I made disk images for them so in the future if the floppies go bad (which they eventually can) I have good files to work from. The G3 my son uses was running 9.1 & the Miracle software wasnt happy, could have been some other extension(s) were conflicting with it but what I ended up doing was running the G3 off an external hard drive loaded with OS 8.1 (the lowest version the G3 runs on) & all was GREAT! Unfortunately after all of this he wasnt really interested in sitting down and going through the lessons (he's 5 years old), I'll try to get him interested again in a few months, at least now I have a working Miracle piano again. It has served us well, my wife used it in a college class back in the early 90's when we bought it new to learn to play & the fact it can still be used today is a testament to how well they thought it out back then!
ALRUI

Postby Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Ed » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:01 am

This is the first time I've heard of problems with Miracle Mac in OS 9, though, as I've said in our FAQ, my knowledge of the Mac version is less extensive than that for the PC version. Happy to hear you have made disk images - a very wise precaution. It always amazes me that the Miracle is still so loved by so many people. It's a worthy system; one wonders why Software Toolworks let it go, except for the fact that it was a DOS app in a computing world that was starting to become dominated by Windows for the PC.
All religions, arts and sciences are branches of the same tree. All these aspirations are directed toward ennobling man's life, lifting it from the sphere of mere physical existence and leading the individual towards freedom. - Albert Einstein
Site Admin

Postby ALRUI » Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:04 am

I'm sure it would have been easy for them to upgrade the program to run in Windows as Windows is simply the GUI anyway but who knows, it would be interesting if someone that used to work at Software Toolworks could fill us in on the decisions that were made back then. As far as OS 9 there were major changes between 8 & 9 so I'm not surprised that I had issues, when we first bought the Miracle it was running on system 6:-)
ALRUI

Postby Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Ed » Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:54 pm

ALRUI wrote:I'm sure it would have been easy for them to upgrade the program to run in Windows as Windows is simply the GUI anyway but who knows

Actually there was a Miracle Windows version that was introduced shortly before Software Toolworks stopped marketing the system. It was a direct port of the DOS version, with almost no changes, save those cosmetic ones enforced by the Windows GUI. Even it looks a little dated now, since it was optimized for display at 800x600 screen resolution. :)
Site Admin

Postby neuregulin » Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:58 am

I used the miracle on a Mac in the early 90's as a (younger) adult. It was great and made me advance a lot, I reached some of the more advanced levels. I stopped, for various reasons, and then several years later got hold of a Piano Discovery software, their successor. I can attest that Piano Discovery was **much** better, and I don't mean the interface. The lessons were more sophisticated and better designed. They demanded more of the students while still keeping the friendly, appropriate pace of the Miracle.
I was recently able to get hold of the PC versions of Piano Discovery, that included years 2 and 3. The Mac, unfortunately, only had year 1 before Jump! Music went out of business. I compared them to emedia Piano and Keyboard Method, that does have software for both Mac and PC up to intermediate level. I am not qualified to comment on the technical aspect of the lessons, or the way they teach theory, but I can say that PDS was still the winner for me, only because I found their musical selections and repertoire a lot more appealing. e Media intermediate seemed frankly boring to me. So here I am, a staunch Mac user, trying to use PDS on an old PC running xp....
neuregulin

Postby Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Ed » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:52 am

Your experience and views are often echoed to me. While modern software has much to recommend it, these older systems are worth looking at, if you can find them. That's the reason I have run an extensive Miracle Piano FAQ http://pianoeducation.org/pnompfaq.html for many years and, more recently started a less extensive Piano Discovery FAQ, which can be accessed here as well. I hope these are useful to people who want to try to advantage of the unique learning environments provided by these old systems.
Site Admin

Return to Miracle Piano and Other Piano Software