Piano discovery system - Old program, no sound

Get help, exchange tips, replace software or just talk

Postby latebloomer » Wed Jun 13, 2007 2:46 pm

Hi:

I'm new to the Message Board, so I hope I've entered this information correctly.

Several years ago, I bought the Piano Discovery System, and I have thoroughly enjoyed using the system "off again and on again." I reinstalled the program on my Windows XP system recently, downloaded the patch, and tried the MIDI keyboard, but I could not get any sound. It appears that my computer does not recognize the keyboard. The cable has a 15 pin connect to the computer. I had to use an adapter to make it work with the USB ports on the computer.

Any ideas? Thanks.

late bloomer
latebloomer

Postby Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Ed » Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:22 am

Although we have reviewed the Piano Discovery System in three versions, we're not experts on it. It is a Windows 3.1 (16-bit) program and may need some tweaking to get it to work in 32-bit Windows (e.g. XP). First, I would try the XP Compatibility Mode. You can reach it by right-clicking on your PDS shortcut, then choosing Compatibility from the pop-up menu. Choose Windows 95 as the compatibility mode, since PDS runs without issues in Win95. You should not need any other options on that tab. Click OK and try again. You can also use the Compatibility Wizard for XP. This provides a slightly more user-friendly interface for Compatibility mode.

I have run PDS 3.0 in XP without problems, so lack of sound communication is possibly a problem with the cable connection. You mentioned that you used an "adapter". Is it a USB-to-MIDI adapter? The original PDS cable was designed for the joystick/MIDI port that older sound cards carried standard. Unfortunately, that port is left off newer sound cards in favor of surround sound capability.
All religions, arts and sciences are branches of the same tree. All these aspirations are directed toward ennobling man's life, lifting it from the sphere of mere physical existence and leading the individual towards freedom. - Albert Einstein
Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Ed
Site Admin

Re: Piano discovery system - Old program, no sound

Postby Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Ed » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:11 am

For those with Piano Discovery Systems, I have just put together a new Piano Discovery System FAQ that has information and links to tech support archives. This FAQ isn't comprehensive by any means, but does organize all the information we have on the PDS in one spot. :)
All religions, arts and sciences are branches of the same tree. All these aspirations are directed toward ennobling man's life, lifting it from the sphere of mere physical existence and leading the individual towards freedom. - Albert Einstein
Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Ed
Site Admin

Return to Miracle Piano and Other Piano Software