Miracle upgrade: next steps

Get help, exchange tips, replace software or just talk

Postby 77-1107318133 » Sat Feb 05, 2005 8:11 pm

I thought it would work better as a new thread, since it looks like this will involve more than the software. The CD I bought via eBay showed up in today's mail. I installed the Windows version on both of my computers.
For the DOS version, the CD copies to three 3½" floppy disks, and the floppies install the program. In the process of creating those diskettes, I found out that the floppy drive in that computer seems to have croaked. If you're wondering why I don't just stick with the Windows version, it's because the "Miracle Song Collection Volumes 1 and 2" work only in DOS. (And that's where all their Lennon/McCartney stuff is!)

I'll also have to look at whether or not the sound card in that machine is connected to the joystick, whether a wye connector will support the serial mouse and the Miracle cable, etc.

Sim Guy and/or ronsmith, did you find what you were looking for?

--
"Max"
77-1107318133

Postby Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Ed » Mon Apr 23, 2007 8:28 am

Max, I just found this thread. Sorry for the late reply.

If your computer doesn't have a (working) diskette drive, you have a problem with the Miracle DOS version, as it is so old that it is hard-coded to install from diskette. There are several solutions:

1) if you're on a network with a machine to which you have access rights over the network and it has a diskette drive, install the Miracle to it and then copy the files over the network to the hard drive of your diskette-less machine. This works for the DOS version because it makes no entries in the Windows Registry.

2) you can copy the files directly from diskette to a CD-ROM (on a machine that has both) and then copy from that to the hard disk. You'll still have a problem installing from the hard disk to the hard disk because the Miracle software is hard-coded to install from diskette. However, if anybody out there still remembers DOS commands, they will recall a handy, but little-used command, SUBST. This command is still present in all versions of Windows from the Command Prompt. What SUBST does is reassign a directory or drive to another drive (the diskette in this case). All calls to the diskette then go to the assigned directory. Thus if you copy the Miracle files on the diskettes to the hard drive, you can get them to install to the Miracle directory, even though they are not on a diskette in your A: drive. For more information on using SUBST, go to the Command Prompt and type "help subst". This approach will not solve the lack of a diskette drive, but will allow you to install the Miracle DOS from virtually any drive on the computer (even if it's on CD-ROM or the network).
All religions, arts and sciences are branches of the same tree. All these aspirations are directed toward ennobling man's life, lifting it from the sphere of mere physical existence and leading the individual towards freedom. - Albert Einstein
Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Ed
Site Admin

Return to Miracle Piano and Other Piano Software