Miracle dos and vista - Getting it to run

Get help, exchange tips, replace software or just talk

Postby Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Ed » Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:45 am

As indicated in my Miracle FAQ, DOS Miracle won't run in Vista due to an incompatibility with the Vista video drivers. There are numerous other problems in getting MIracle DOS to run which might discourage people from using it in XP or Vista.

Surprisingly, there is another good option that really works. I have tested the Miracle DOS version on a Windows Vista machine using a DOS emulator called DOSBox. This emulator simulates DOS in a window, not only in 32-bit Windows, but in Mac OS X, several flavors of Linux, and a couple of other rarer systems. It's completely free to download DOSBox under the GNU license. DOSBox is slightly more complicated to use than native DOS, but, chances are you'll spend less time getting the Miracle up and running in DOSBox than you will trying to solve the problems in XP or Vista. I have tested the Miracle DOS and several other DOS games in DOSBox running under Vista with good success. There is also a very good DOSBoxWiki on installation and setup to help you get started. The DOSBox environment provides good support for sound and MIDI input. Programs running in the DOSBox can be run either full screen or in a window.
All religions, arts and sciences are branches of the same tree. All these aspirations are directed toward ennobling man's life, lifting it from the sphere of mere physical existence and leading the individual towards freedom. - Albert Einstein
Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Ed
Site Admin

Postby Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Ed » Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:58 am

Some additional observations on DOSBox: I've tested several other well-behaved (not writing directly to hardware) DOS applications in DOSBox. All run well there with no adjustment at all. DOSBox can be configured easily to meet the needs of any particular DOS program by editing a single, well-documented file, dosbox.conf, in the DOSBox program directory with any ASCII editor. If you're using DOSBox in Vista, you'll need to give yourself explicit permission to be able to access dosbox.conf.

DOSBox has many options, explained in the Wiki and as comments in the .conf file. For example, you can control the size of the full screen display by changing one parameter. This is important, since many DOS applications become much too pixelated if displayed full screen at current monitor resolution. There are many options for input and sound. On the whole, this is a very good solution for those fighting to get any DOS application to run in Windows XP, Vista, Linux or Mac OS X.
All religions, arts and sciences are branches of the same tree. All these aspirations are directed toward ennobling man's life, lifting it from the sphere of mere physical existence and leading the individual towards freedom. - Albert Einstein
Site Admin

Postby Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Ed » Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:12 am

I've just had a report that a reader of Miracle FAQ, which describes the use of DOSBox with the Miracle, has successfully gotten the Miracle to run on a Windows XP laptop, in a DOSBox window. No font problems, no adjustments of the operating system, no special requirements for hardware configuration. This individual used USB serial adapter so that he could use the Miracle serial cable, rather than a MIDI cable.

I have also shown that direct hardware writes by DOS applications need not be a problem with DOSBox. An application that I have written for scientists writes directly to the hardware to determine video adapter type. In native Vista, this crashes the program. Under DOSBox, the direct screen writes work perfectly. DOS may be old and clunky, but DOSBox may just be giving it and your old software some new life!

Edited By Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Editor on 1218547024
Site Admin

Postby 109-1219874942 » Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:27 pm

I really need to get a copy of the software Miracle Piano Teaching System, as my diskettes are no longer legible, and now my son in interested in learning, so I can revitalize the old Miracle system.

Please advise on where I can get a copy of the windows software.

Thanks so much.

Michael
109-1219874942

Postby Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Ed » Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:21 am

Guest wrote:I really need to get a copy of the software Miracle Piano Teaching System, as my diskettes are no longer legible, and now my son in interested in learning, so I can revitalize the old Miracle system.

Thanks so much.

Michael

As it says repeatedly in our Miracle Piano FAQ, the software hasn't been offered for sale new for over 15 years. You can find used copies occasionally on auction sites. As long as you use a MIDI cable (not the included serial cable) to connect the keyboard to the computer, you can use the keyboard with nearly any learning software. You're pretty much stuck with trying to find the Miracle software itself, if you use the serial cable. Keep in mind that copyrights on the Miracle software are still in force, so you can't legally copy someone else's software for your own use. If you have the original diskettes, even if non-working, you can rewrite the Miracle software onto them, if you can find someone who has it. I suspect that would be considered legal under copyright law.
Site Admin

Postby mmceltic3 » Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:00 am

Guest wrote:I really need to get a copy of the software Miracle Piano Teaching System, as my diskettes are no longer legible, and now my son in interested in learning, so I can revitalize the old Miracle system.

Thanks so much.

Michael

[quote]
I have the Miracle Piano system on PC disks. I also have the fix patch for fixing the dos 8x14 font problem so it works with the newer windows. I have not tryed it with Vista however as I use XP. Anyone trying to find them can contact me at mmceltic3@yahoo.com please put Miracle Piano in the comment box so I don't delete your message thinking it is junk mail. Also I have a mac disk of the vol 2 song collection but I do not have a way to convert it to PC . Can anyone help me with this problem? Or does anyone have copies of the song collections volumes 1 and 2? :D
mmceltic3

Postby Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Ed » Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:41 am

Guest wrote:I have the Miracle Piano system on PC disks. I also have the fix patch for fixing the dos 8x14 font problem so it works with the newer windows. I have not tryed it with Vista however as I use XP. Anyone trying to find them can contact me at mmceltic3@yahoo.com please put Miracle Piano in the comment box so I don't delete your message thinking it is junk mail. Also I have a mac disk of the vol 2 song collection but I do not have a way to convert it to PC . Can anyone help me with this problem? Or does anyone have copies of the song collections volumes 1 and 2? :D

I have a couple questions. Have you verified that your PC disks will actually successfully install the Miracle? Sometimes, the information on the disks can become corrupted, but they will still check out as OK with a utility like Scandisk or Disk Verifier.

Second question is: Are you selling the disks (or copies of them) or giving them away (or copies thereof)? You are on very shaky copyright ground if it's the former and somewhat shaky ground if the latter. That's the reason we only provide one replacement disk when people ask us, since the program isn't usable unless you have all the disks. Thanks for letting people know that you have the disks and are willing to help.

We have the song disks for the PC version of the Miracle, but not for the Mac, as explained in my Miracle FAQ. I'm suspect there is a way to convert the Mac versions, but I haven't looked into it. :)
Site Admin

Return to Miracle Piano and Other Piano Software