A basic miracle keyboard question - Nintendo and pc: different animals?

Get help, exchange tips, replace software or just talk

Postby gentle_yoga » Mon Feb 06, 2006 1:14 pm

I have a PC Miracle setup working well in MS-Dos on an old IBM Thinkpad running Windows 95. (The Miracle was a present from my husband many years ago. Just brought it out of storage recently and got it working again.) Want to set up a second practice area with another old Thinkpad. Got a 2nd hand working Miracle keyboard (with a Miracle cable) but it has the Nintendo symbol on it. I'm having problems with it. All my experience is solely with the DOS version of Miracle (I've got the Windows version but don't use it) and always using the Miracle cable (no experience with MIDI setups or ports).

Before I try to go any further with this second keyboard (like making note of how it is malfunctioning and asking you for advice) I'd like to know if it just won't work with the PC software. Should I forget about this keyboard with the Nintendo symbol and try to find a keyboard that originally came with a PC system?

Thanks.
Jean Sloan
gentle_yoga

Postby Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Ed » Mon Feb 06, 2006 2:35 pm

gentle_yoga wrote:Should I forget about this keyboard with the Nintendo symbol and try to find a keyboard that originally came with a PC system?

I have never seen the Nintendo version of the keyboard. The IBM version has ports on the back for both serial ("Miracle cable") connection and MIDI In/Out ports. I sincerely doubt that you'll be able to get the Nintendo keyboard working with the serial port and the IBM software. If the keyboard does have MIDI ports, then you have a good chance so long as you use a MIDI cable connected to the MIDI ports and the joystick/MIDI connector of the sound card on your Thinkpad. The MIDI communication scheme is much more standardized than the serial communication scheme, so you have a better chance with it. A side benefit is that you can then also use the keyboard with just about any MIDI-compatible software. See our Miracle FAQ for more information.

This all assumes that the problem is communication with the computer. If the problem is something else, then, of course, this approach probably wouldn't solve the problem. :(
All religions, arts and sciences are branches of the same tree. All these aspirations are directed toward ennobling man's life, lifting it from the sphere of mere physical existence and leading the individual towards freedom. - Albert Einstein
Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Ed
Site Admin

Return to Miracle Piano and Other Piano Software