Getting miracle to run on win 98

Get help, exchange tips, replace software or just talk

Postby Mel » Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:41 am

Hi

I wondered if anyone can help.

I've sucessfully loaded Miracle on Win 95 before, but trying to do so on Win 98 I have problems

If I try loading using install from a CD I get an option for mono or 4 serials, but whatever I do it says install finished & nothing happens.

I seem to recall that I just copied all the unpacked files over before & it worked. So I tried that, after installing the font fix it looks ok, but the laptop & keyboard/piano are not talking to each other. They are connected with the Miracle cable and to the port that has IOIOI which I believe was the serial ? (may as well eliminate the simple).

Any ideas ?

Thanks

Mel
Mel

Postby Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Ed » Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:20 am

The cable shipped with the Miracle is a serial type cable and you are, indeed, connected to the serial port of your computer.

Since you loaded from CD, you are almost certainly using an "aftermarket" copy of the software, since the original Miracle software was only delivered on diskette. Since you didn't get an install error, your software is probably OK.

As it explains in excruciating detail in our Miracle FAQ, your problem is merely one of getting the computer to talk to the keyboard properly via the serial port. Although this can be solved from within Windows, the easiest thing in Win98 is to exit Windows to the DOS prompt (NOT start a DOS Prompt from within Windows) and run the Miracle from the DOS prompt. Alternatively, boot to DOS and run the Miracle from the command line.

All this assumes that you have the DOS version of the software, not the Windows version. For most people the Windows version of the Miracle software works fine in Win9x, without any additional configuration, so I think you probably have the DOS version. :)
All religions, arts and sciences are branches of the same tree. All these aspirations are directed toward ennobling man's life, lifting it from the sphere of mere physical existence and leading the individual towards freedom. - Albert Einstein
Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Ed
Site Admin

Postby Mel » Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:50 am

The copy I'm using is one I created myself and indeed from the DOS version on 5.25 " disks :) So strictly aftermarket, but from very much orignial disk (which I still have )I copied allthe install files over & at some point copied the unpacked files onto CD, I think probably from a suggestion in you FAQs in 2005 (that is when I created the CD unpacked)

Ok I'll try running from Dos prompt and see if I get a sound, if I do is it possible to adjust in windows to run it from there ?

I have looked & tried most things in the FAQ, I think !

Thanks off to try DOS prompt now

Mel
Mel

Postby Mel » Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:12 am

Not sound from the dos prompt either.

So I think it must be either defective cable or defective serial port ?

Mel
Mel

Postby Mel » Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:16 am

ver 1.7.1 btw

Mel
Mel

Postby Mel » Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:13 pm

I wondered if there were perhaps some files missing or set to read only that need to be not read only.

I can't seem to post a screen shot here of files, is there one I could check against ?

Tried on second comp same problem, with win98
Mel

Postby Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Ed » Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:19 pm

Mel,

If you're using a laptop, it's possible that the serial port is turned off to save power. To check, you'll have to reboot the machine and press whatever key (usually F2) brings up your BIOS setup program on the machine. Check in both the Peripherals configuration and Power configuration sections to see if the serial port is turned off.

Since you don't get a response at the DOS prompt (the one arrived at by rebooting to the machine's boot menu - on a Windows machine, arrived at by pressing and holding down F8 from the moment the machine starts to boot), it's likely that the serial port is turned off. When you turn it on, re-run the Miracle Setup program from the hard disk and choose the option that simply reconfigures the program, rather than copying files. This will test for for serial port communication if you set it to use the serial port. If that fails, you have either turned on the wrong serial port in the BIOS Setup or you have a bad cable. The latter is unlikely, but happens once in a great while. If you come to that conclusion, see the Miracle FAQ for options to replace the cable.
All religions, arts and sciences are branches of the same tree. All these aspirations are directed toward ennobling man's life, lifting it from the sphere of mere physical existence and leading the individual towards freedom. - Albert Einstein
Site Admin

Postby Mel » Sat Jul 07, 2007 3:11 am

Thanks John, I'll try turning on the serial, when you say rerun the Miracle set up program do you mean install the Miracle system by using the packed files and the install command ? If so I have a problem when I attempt that in that double click starts install, then I get a query asking to specific Mono or something else to do with 4 serials -c or -m (sorry I can't remember the exact wording
) but if you are not familiar with this choice I'll get it verbatum . At this point I have tried -c or -m or c or m but it then drops out of install and says instalation has finish. From what you are saying more should go on eg testing the serial port.

Is this because I'm installing from within windows ? From the FAQ I understood I could double click to install the program ?

Thanks

Mel
Mel

Postby Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Ed » Sat Jul 07, 2007 8:37 am

Although the Miracle will install from Win98, it's far easier to install it by booting to DOS (NOT a DOS Prompt from Windows), than to deal with all the complications added by Windows. Once you get it working in DOS, you can then proceed to load Windows and it should be easy to get sound in Windows.

If you're not using serial port one (for a printer or modem), also known as COM1, enable it in the BIOS setup program. Then, plug the Miracle cable into that port (usually it's the one on the back of the laptop). Run the Miracle install program and choose serial port one (COM1) as the port for the Miracle. The program will then proceed to test the port.

If you have a modem in the machine, another thing that might be going on is that the modem may be using the serial port you're choosing. You can't use the modem serial port for the Miracle. Just re-run the Miracle install from the DOS prompt, using the files installed on your hard disk previously (not the packed files), choosing a different serial port. I think the "c" and "m" you're referring to are the abbreviations for COM and MIDI. Since you have the serial cable, you must use one of the COM ports, not the MIDI.
Site Admin

Postby joat-mon » Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:00 am

I'm happy to report that I installed the 3 diskettes under Windows XP Pro without doing anything special, and it came up and runs fine without any problems.
joat-mon

Postby Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Ed » Tue Oct 09, 2007 1:41 pm

joat-mon wrote:I'm happy to report that I installed the 3 diskettes under Windows XP Pro without doing anything special, and it came up and runs fine without any problems.

I think you're the first person ever to get Miracle DOS to run "out-of-the-box" on XP. I'm surprised that you didn't have to install the "font fixer" discussed in my Miracle FAQ, since almost all modern video cards lack the necessary font. Anyway, thanks for reporting your success. :)
Site Admin

Return to Miracle Piano and Other Piano Software