Anybody familiar with yamaha's method? - Need info on the yamaha curriculum!

Get help, exchange tips, replace software or just talk

Postby lwduncan » Thu Mar 08, 2007 3:42 pm

(I thought I posted this the other day, but it never appeared so maybe I overlooked something...trying again...)

I need information on Yamaha's piano lab method. I'm currently in charge of putting together a proposal for a new piano lab in one of our public schools, and Yamaha is one of the dealers we're considering. It is my understanding, however, that their labs are set up only to utilize their method/curriculum, for which the teacher must be specially trained. There is a Yamaha Music Education representative in Texas that I'm in contact with, but so far I've been unable to find out any details regarding the actual method itself, and I have lots of questions!

What IS the method, exactly? Is it as good as Alfred, or any of the more traditional methods? Does it teach literacy? Is it true that you can't use any other method in a Yamaha piano lab? How can that be? What's to prevent you from bringing in your own books/curriculum? Is there anyone out there familiar with this? Better yet, anyone who's actually taught it?

I'm obviously unwilling to commit to a curriculum with which I'm not familiar, and I haven't been able to find out anything, even through Yamaha's website. Can someone help?

Thanks!
lwduncan

Postby lwduncan » Tue Mar 20, 2007 8:26 am

Nobody knows anything?!?!? :(
lwduncan

Postby Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Ed » Wed Mar 21, 2007 7:34 am

lwduncan wrote:Nobody knows anything?!?!? :(

You're right that you did post this earlier - in another forum. You'll find the thread, and a reply, in our Piano Methods forum here. :)
All religions, arts and sciences are branches of the same tree. All these aspirations are directed toward ennobling man's life, lifting it from the sphere of mere physical existence and leading the individual towards freedom. - Albert Einstein
Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Ed
Site Admin

Postby Stretto » Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:19 pm

I don't know anything about the Yamaha method but a quick web search with the words "Yamaha method" and a little quick skimming through sites titles, in 5 min. time I found following sites with lots of information/articles on the Yamaha teaching system unless they aren't the same as what you are referring to. It appeared there were other sites on the subect but these are just a few that I saw at a quick glance:

The Yamaha Music System

Pheonix Yamaha Music School

Yamaha Music Education System: Celebrating 50 years of growth

Did you ask the contact person you mentioned why he couldn't give you any further information on the method?

There has to be other schools, music schools, universities, and such that teach the same method with group piano that you could call and ask someone in charge of those programs for advice. The Pheonix link I found provides a phone number, address, and e-mail - might be worth a try to see if the person in charge there has any advice and info. Also, in searching the internet, you might be likely to find a forum with teachers that all taught and discussed Yamaha. I know a teacher who told me the Suzuki method has such a forum.

As far as methods, I don't know if there is such a thing as a "bad" method. If that's what you're school ends up going with, I'm sure you'll be perfectly fine and there's no need to worry. I think a teacher can take just about any method and get to know what you like and don't like about it, get to know the pitfalls or weaknesses and come up with your own ideas to compensate. I would imagine it's similar to any other type of teaching in regards to taking the given material and coming up with ways to compensate for any weaknesses. If you really want the job you've been handed and you end up with Yamaha, just go with the flow on it. If they provide you with the training on the method, I would think you'd be well prepared by the time you were to actually teach it.

Edited By Stretto on 1174625240
Stretto

Postby lwduncan » Fri Mar 23, 2007 7:28 am

Thank you for the input. Originally, I couldn't find much of anything, until I took "piano" out of the search field....far better results that way.

In any case, however, many of the articles tend to be overviews that don't really provide curricular detail, or are promotional in nature, which is why I was hoping to find actual teachers who had used it and could give a professional opinion.

I appreciate your advice, thanks again.
lwduncan

Return to Miracle Piano and Other Piano Software