Piano Discovery problems in Win XP - apparent font issue

Get help, exchange tips, replace software or just talk

Postby Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Ed » Sun Feb 01, 2004 12:30 pm

Several of our visitors have reported problems using the Piano Discovery System in Windows XP. It appears to involve one or more PDS fonts not being properly handled under XP, resulting in black blocks appearing where notes should be seen. Anybody know of a fix for this?
All religions, arts and sciences are branches of the same tree. All these aspirations are directed toward ennobling man's life, lifting it from the sphere of mere physical existence and leading the individual towards freedom. - Albert Einstein
Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Ed
Site Admin

Postby Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Ed » Tue Feb 03, 2004 2:44 pm

update - I've tested PDS (a Windows 3.1/95 piano teaching program) on four different systems running different versions of Windows (95, ME, 2000 Pro, XP Pro). PDS runs properly on 95 and ME and exhibits the same blocking out of the staff and notes in 2000 Pro and XP Pro. No combination of adjusting the Compatibility mode in 2000 or XP changes the situation, nor does removing hardware acceleration from the display adapter.

The standard installation of the program on either of these operating systems does not properly register the two fonts used, harmony.ttf and jumptfon.fon. However, manual registration of the fonts through the Fonts applet, while successfully registering the fonts, does not change the appearance of the on-screen staffs and notes. It appears that the PDS30.INI file is not translated into the registry on installation either, though I do not know if that is the source of the problem.

Anybody have any ideas?
All religions, arts and sciences are branches of the same tree. All these aspirations are directed toward ennobling man's life, lifting it from the sphere of mere physical existence and leading the individual towards freedom. - Albert Einstein
Site Admin

Postby Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Ed » Thu Feb 05, 2004 11:52 am

Some more information: Since PDS 3 is a 16-bit (Windows 3.1) application, I tried uninstalling it from normal mode XP and reinstalling it in Safe Mode, since Safe Mode doesn't boot any 32-bit drivers. The program installs in Safe Mode, but has other problems, in addition to the unchanged problem with display of the note and staff fonts. So, this common means of solving problems with 16-bit Windows programs doesn't work.

Edited By Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Editor on 1099581219
Site Admin

Postby Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Ed » Thu Nov 04, 2004 9:07 am

I have just learned of a possible "fix" for the PDS font problem. A PDS on XP fix is available on the Web for $10 US. I have requested a review copy and will post a review if the author of the fix agrees to send a review copy. The page above doesn't have an e-mail address on it, but you can write the author of the fix at jessedaleolsen@yahoo.com for more information if you're interested. :cool:

Edited By Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Editor on 1099581165
Site Admin

Return to Miracle Piano and Other Piano Software