Musical notes are not displayed correctly (mac)

Get help, exchange tips, replace software or just talk

Postby 104-1083761803 » Wed May 05, 2004 9:46 pm

Hello,
I can run Miracle software with Miracle keyboard on Mac OS 9.2.2 except for appearance of musical notes. All musical notes are displayed as black squares.
Does anyone know how to address this problem?
104-1083761803

Postby Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Ed » Thu May 06, 2004 8:08 am

A problem similar to this one occurs for newer IBM-PC compatibles. On the PC it is due to elimination of the particular font used by the Miracle from the onboard ROM of the graphics card. There is a fix for the PC described on our Miracle FAQ page. Whether or not this is the problem on the Mac, I'm not certain.

One other possibility: The TrueType font specification, developed jointly by Apple and Microsoft, was recently upgraded to the "OpenType" specification Windows 2000 and XP. Some old TrueType fonts are not fully compatible with OpenType, for somewhat technical reasons, and display this way in programs that try to use them. This problem affects Piano Discovery on the PC, for example. I think it's a good possibility that this is the likely culprit on the Mac. Unfortunately, there's no easy solution of which I'm aware, since it requires rewriting the font to meet the new spec - something only font experts should take on. :(
All religions, arts and sciences are branches of the same tree. All these aspirations are directed toward ennobling man's life, lifting it from the sphere of mere physical existence and leading the individual towards freedom. - Albert Einstein
Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Ed
Site Admin

Return to Miracle Piano and Other Piano Software