Miracle timing problem

Get help, exchange tips, replace software or just talk

Postby 83-1100886606 » Sun Nov 21, 2004 12:48 pm

I got my old Miracle piano working with Windows XP, thanks to help from this site.

But there seems to be a timing problem, the metronome does not tick constantly and when doing the timing tests it actually pauses.

Does anyone know how to fix this?

I am running the Miracle software in Windows 95 compatibility mode.
83-1100886606

Postby Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Ed » Sun Nov 21, 2004 1:18 pm

Welcome to the Board, SteveH!

Are you using the DOS Miracle or the Windows version? Also, are you using the serial cable provided with the Miracle or a MIDI cable? It would be nice to know this, though it may or may not be the cause of the problem.

The first thing I would try is to go to the Miracle program shortcut, right click on it and select Properties from the popup menu. This will bring up the Miracle Piano Properties window. Click the Misc tab and set the Idle Sensitivity to Low. OK out of all the windows. This will cause the operating system to devote more CPU cycles to the Miracle, allowing the screen and metronome to be updated more frequently. It will also reduce the resources to other Windows programs running in the background while you're running the Miracle.

Another thing you can try is to click on the Compatibility tab and select Run in 256 colors (the native screen color depth of the Miracle). This will cause the screen to be updated more rapidly, simply because the color depth is lower.

If these don't work (try them one at a time in that order), click on the Program tab in the Properties window, then on the Advanced button. This will bring up the Windows PIF Settings dialog. Make sure Compatible timer hardware emulation is selected, then OK out of all the windows and test the Miracle again.

What you're doing in making these adjustments is changing the underlying .PIF file (remember those?) which governs how Windows runs the DOS app. XP creates a .PIF file automatically for every DOS app you run on it.

Let me know how this works. :cool:

Edited By Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Editor on 1101066760
All religions, arts and sciences are branches of the same tree. All these aspirations are directed toward ennobling man's life, lifting it from the sphere of mere physical existence and leading the individual towards freedom. - Albert Einstein
Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Ed
Site Admin

Postby 83-1100886606 » Tue Nov 23, 2004 5:42 am

Thanks for the reply Dr. Zeigler

I am running the Dos version of Miracle, v1.7 (if I remember correctly)

I will try your suggestions and let you know if it works.

Since the Mindscape are no longer around, where can one get the Windows version of the software?
83-1100886606

Postby Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Ed » Tue Nov 23, 2004 8:40 am

SteveH wrote:I am running the Dos version of Miracle, v1.7 (if I remember correctly)

Since the Mindscape are no longer around, where can one get the Windows version of the software?

I thought you were probably running the DOS version of the Miracle; that's the reason I answered your question the way I did.

The most "reliable" source for the Windows version of the Miracle is eBay.com. There are always many copies of both the DOS and Windows versions there, though you run the usual risks in ordering from people you don't know.

I don't know if getting the Windows version will help you that much; it's a pretty straightforward "port" of the DOS version and is a Windows 3.1 (16-bit) application, not a 32-bit Windows 95/98/ME/2000/XP app. It has a few less problems than the DOS version, but it's still old software. :)
All religions, arts and sciences are branches of the same tree. All these aspirations are directed toward ennobling man's life, lifting it from the sphere of mere physical existence and leading the individual towards freedom. - Albert Einstein
Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Ed
Site Admin

Return to Miracle Piano and Other Piano Software