Anybody tried miracle piano in vista? - Does it work?

Get help, exchange tips, replace software or just talk

Postby Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Ed » Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:21 am

I've now spent a little time trying to get the Miracle to work under Windows Vista. Want the good news first or the bad news? :D

Although I don't currently have a Miracle keyboard to test the MIDI In driver, Miracle for Windows seems to work fine under Vista. MIDI output and screen display are fine. I had a little trouble getting the program to install at first, getting Error 106 (not able to find a necessary file). I solved this by changing "ownership" of the files in the /miraclew directory to myself. The program then installed just fine. Ownership is a part of both Windows XP and Vista security; it's just harder to find the right dialog under Vista. Changing ownership is described in Vista Help and often allows programs that are balky to run under Vista. I didn't need the Program Compatibility Wizard to get the program to install or run, once I changed ownership of the files. I did have to change the MIDI Out driver using Control Panel,Sounds to the one my sound card uses in order to get sound from the computer speakers.

I have also done some things with the Miracle DOS program. I haven't gotten it to run yet, but the problem is mainly that the program is so old that it is hard-coded to install from diskettes. This computer doesn't have a diskette drive, but I believe that this problem can likely be solved by installing the Miracle to a computer that does have a diskette drive, then transferring the files over my network to this one. I'll report on that once I try it.
All religions, arts and sciences are branches of the same tree. All these aspirations are directed toward ennobling man's life, lifting it from the sphere of mere physical existence and leading the individual towards freedom. - Albert Einstein
Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Ed
Site Admin

Postby Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Ed » Mon Apr 02, 2007 12:11 pm

Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Editor wrote:I have also done some things with the Miracle DOS program. I haven't gotten it to run yet, but the problem is mainly that the program is so old that it is hard-coded to install from diskettes. This computer doesn't have a diskette drive, but I believe that this problem can likely be solved by installing the Miracle to a computer that does have a diskette drive, then transferring the files over my network to this one. I'll report on that once I try it.

I have now gotten the Miracle DOS version onto this diskette-less computer using the approach described in the quote. This works for getting the program installed successfully, since the Miracle DOS doesn't make any entries in the Windows Registry that have to be transferred.

Unfortunately, as described in an earlier post in this thread the program doesn't run correctly under Vista. It gives an error "this program does not support fullscreen mode". As described in the relevant Microsoft Knowledgebase article, this problem is not solvable in 64-bit versions of Vista, because Vista 64-bit doesn't support 16-bit DOS applications at all.

For the 32-bit Vista versions (most people have 32-bit Vista), the Windows Vista video drivers don't support all DOS video modes, thus producing the error. Microsoft suggests a workaround of installing the Windows XP drivers for your video adapter. I haven't tried this, but if you're really desperate to get the Miracle DOS to run under Vista, this is a workable approach. Another one would be to boot from a diskette (if your Vista machine has one) and then run the Miracle from the command line. I don't know if installing the Fix8x14 driver, mentioned in our FAQ, would fix this problem independently of installing XP video drivers or whether it would be required in addition to the XP drivers. When I get around to it, I'll check.

Edited By Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Editor on 1176834796
All religions, arts and sciences are branches of the same tree. All these aspirations are directed toward ennobling man's life, lifting it from the sphere of mere physical existence and leading the individual towards freedom. - Albert Einstein
Site Admin

Postby Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Ed » Fri May 11, 2007 7:25 am

Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Editor wrote:I don't know if installing the Fix8x14 driver, mentioned in our FAQ, would fix this problem independently of installing XP video drivers or whether it would be required in addition to the XP drivers. When I get around to it, I'll check.

I have finally "gotten around to it" and tested the FIX8X14 font fix with Miracle DOS, both inside Vista and from a Vista command prompt boot, reached by pressing F8 before Windows starts. In neither case does the Miracle work after installation of the fix8x14.com program. I still get the same "full screen mode" error. :( So, it looks like we're stuck with using XP video drivers if we want to use Miracle DOS under Vista. I don't know how much of a performance penalty (or any other) that doing so incurs, but it's apparently safe (I guess), given that Microsoft recommends it. Of course, since the 8x14 font is still needed to display the Miracle's menus, one would still have to use the fix8x14 program, even if he used the XP video drivers with Vista.

Edited By Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Editor on 1178927913
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Miracle Piano and Other Piano Software