Miracle piano in vista - Installation

Get help, exchange tips, replace software or just talk

Postby Glen » Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:18 pm

I introduced myself in the Adult Students forum, but I thought this forum might be a better place to describe my experiences getting Miracle to run in Vista.

I found the program in a folder on an old desktop. Years ago, I think I ran it under Windows 95. I think I have the complete program (about 1.6 meg) on the hard drive, although I was only able to find one 5 1/4" diskette containing the master program.

I obtained a serial-to-usb adapter cable (iogear guc232a) from Fry's electronics. It comes with a (necessary) program that may be run from Vista or from the dos prompt. When I tried to run Miracle, I go two errors. The first of these was "the system could not open com2 as requested by the application." I managed to reset the iogear default com port from com7 to com2 from the "ports" selection of device manager (only visible when iogear cable is plugged in).

Now, I found that (running from inside Vista) I had sound (the tune in the opening to the Miracle program) but no video. The video problem was related to the second error "the system does not support fullscreen mode," discussed in the FAQ.

I tried using the dosbox program described in the FAQ and discussed at WIKi, but had no luck with it.

Next, I tried to interrupt the boot up and enter "safe mode with dos prompt." Now, when I ran Miracle, I got good video but no sound and no communication between the keyboard and the computer. As I mentioned earlier, iogear specified com7 in its installation. Although I managed to change this in Vista, I never figured out how do do it from the DOS prompt.

So back to Vista. I found in Device Manager that my computer has a 645G chipset. At the Intel drivers site, I clicked on chipsets>laptops. Sure enough, there was an XP driver for the graphics accelerator. It was very easy to download and run. After installation, I could see that the screen resolution was clearly different (worse). And, when I ran Miracle, it loaded with video, sound, and communiction with the keyboard - and no errors when loaded.

Of course, the downside is that the screen resolution must remain in the XP mode , unless one wants to go back and forth between graphics drivers. In my case, I have an extra laptop that had been damaged but later fixed, so it will be dedicated to my Miracle System

Again, many thanks to John Zeigler. Without his FAQ, I would have had little idea where to start to get Miracle to run. I hope I have added a little detail to his excellent discussion.
Glen Jarboe
Glen

Postby Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Ed » Sat Dec 13, 2008 8:25 am

Glen wrote:Now, I found that (running from inside Vista) I had sound (the tune in the opening to the Miracle program) but no video. The video problem was related to the second error "the system does not support fullscreen mode," discussed in the FAQ.

I tried using the dosbox program described in the FAQ and discussed at WIKi, but had no luck with it.

I'd be interested in knowing what kind of problems you had with Miracle under DOSBox. I've tried numerous DOS programs that won't run under Vista, including many games, in it and had complete success, though, in some cases, it required me to configure manually the dosbox.conf file, as discussed in the Miracle FAQ. Others have also reported success to me using DOSBox. It's much easier than trying to solve all the problems under Vista. Please expand on this. :)
All religions, arts and sciences are branches of the same tree. All these aspirations are directed toward ennobling man's life, lifting it from the sphere of mere physical existence and leading the individual towards freedom. - Albert Einstein
Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Ed
Site Admin

Postby Glen » Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:46 pm

I probably didn't get my config file set up properly. Perhaps you could email me the config file that you used.
Glen Jarboe
Glen

Return to Miracle Piano and Other Piano Software