Upgrading my miracle - How to make this key board work

Get help, exchange tips, replace software or just talk

Postby 114-1102469890 » Wed Dec 08, 2004 10:06 am

Hi... I just bought a keyboard only. Nothing but the keyboard and the powersupply. It works fine and will teach this 62 year old how to read music... I hope.
Someone told me that this keyboard hooks up to a computer in some way and the computer becomes the instructor.
Can anyone tell me about this? What software and stuff do I need?

Thanks

Ron Smith
114-1102469890

Postby Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Ed » Wed Dec 08, 2004 11:13 am

The keyboard came with either the Miracle Piano System software for DOS or Windows 3.1. Also in the package were manuals, a pedal that plugs into the keyboard and a serial cable that plugs into the serial port of the computer. You can use a MIDI cable to connect the keyboard to the computer and use just about any software that recognizes MIDI. For more information on all these topics see our Miracle Piano FAQ
All religions, arts and sciences are branches of the same tree. All these aspirations are directed toward ennobling man's life, lifting it from the sphere of mere physical existence and leading the individual towards freedom. - Albert Einstein
Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Ed
Site Admin

Postby 114-1102469890 » Wed Dec 08, 2004 4:51 pm

I read that FAQ... thanks. DOes this mean that there is other software out there that works with the Miracle keyboard if I use the midi interface?

Sorry to be dense.

Ron
114-1102469890

Postby Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Ed » Wed Dec 08, 2004 5:33 pm

ronsmith wrote:DOes this mean that there is other software out there that works with the Miracle keyboard if I use the midi interface?

Sorry to be dense.

Ron

Yes, it means that virtually any software that supports General MIDI can use the Miracle keyboard, so long as you get a MIDI cable to connect it to the computer.
All religions, arts and sciences are branches of the same tree. All these aspirations are directed toward ennobling man's life, lifting it from the sphere of mere physical existence and leading the individual towards freedom. - Albert Einstein
Site Admin

Postby 114-1102469890 » Thu Dec 09, 2004 8:14 am

Can you recommend software for teaching piano? My understanding was Miracle taught how to play a piece of music and not the theory (reading of music). I would like to try that method although I still want to learn to read music.

I remember magazine article when I was a kid, "The laughed when I sat down to play". Hahahaha... still with me.
114-1102469890

Postby Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Ed » Thu Dec 09, 2004 8:33 am

I gave you the list of what was originally included in the Miracle box from memory. Here's the full list, taken from the User's Guide (which you can download for free from our Miracle FAQ page): Warranty Registration
Foot Pedal Earphones Keyboard The Miracle Card and Quick Start Card Power Supply Cable
The Miracle Keyboard Owner's Manual This User's Guide
Software Diskettes Keyboard Overlay

You can find lots of piano software reviewed on our Piano Software Reviews page. You'll find several programs that we think are very good. Read the reviews to determine which one best fits your needs. In fact there is a brand new review of the eMedia Piano and Keyboard Method featured in the just completed upgrade of PEP. Take a look at it as well. :)

Edited By Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Editor on 1102602905
Site Admin

Postby Sim Guy » Tue Jan 04, 2005 5:13 am

Did you have any joy tracking down the software, I'm in the same situation as yourself, a keyboard and no software. I'd prefer to contue the miracle software if I can track it down.

Happy New Year
Sim Guy

Postby Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Ed » Tue Jan 04, 2005 11:49 am

Since the software, like the keyboard, is no longer made, the only place you can find it is on eBay. You can find many complete Miracle systems there, as well as the software only. Just search for Miracle piano there.

Edited By Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Editor on 1104861015
Site Admin

Postby 77-1107318133 » Wed Feb 02, 2005 9:50 am

Hi, Ron and all--
I just acquired a Miracle keyboard yesterday. It included everything except the foot pedal. It only had the three 3½" DOS diskettes for software, and I couldn't seem to get past the first one when trying to install the program.
Some Googling around brought me to the PEP (Yay!). I also found an eBay listing for a CD that includes DOS and Windows software for the Miracle, plus TXT, DOC, and PDF versions of the manuals and other "paper stuff." There is also something in there about making your own "Miracle cable."
If anyone's interested, the seller is mystuff.com.
I also found a site that mentions drum sounds and other voicings for the Miracle. The image of the board they have seems to look different than mine does. I think I've got less buttons, etc., on the top of mine. <http://users.informatik.haw-hamburg.de/~windle_c/TableHooters/Mindscape_MiraclePiano.html>
And yes, I picked the name Miracle_Max after Billy Crystal's character in "The Princess Bride." He and Carol Kane made quite a pair. <http://pb.combatwombat.com/max.html> :D

--
Doug Clark
77-1107318133

Postby Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Ed » Wed Feb 02, 2005 10:49 am

Miracle_Max wrote:I just acquired a Miracle keyboard yesterday. It included everything except the foot pedal. It only had the three 3½" DOS diskettes for software, and I couldn't seem to get past the first one when trying to install the program.

Welcome, Doug

If you're still having trouble installing the Miracle software, do you have a bad disk (read error) or are you simply trying to install it in Windows XP or 2000? In either case, check out our Miracle Piano FAQ page. You'll find help for both issues there. :)

Edited By Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Editor on 1107363046
Site Admin

Postby 77-1107318133 » Wed Feb 02, 2005 11:20 am

Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Editor wrote:If you're still having trouble installing the Miracle software, do you have a bad disk (read error) or are you simply trying to install it in Windows XP or 2000? In either case, check out our Miracle Piano FAQ page. You'll find help for both issues there. :)

The FAQ page was one of the first things I found with Google, and it was the best. (Way more stuff on the 'net about Nintendo [NES] and Miracle than I needed or wanted.)
I'm running Windows 98 in both my machines. The older one has a serial mouse, so that was the one I was going to rig the Miracle to. After figuring out that it would be good to restart in DOS (where I can't use the mosue anyway), it still didn't want to play nice with the Miracle. Actually, it was something akin to "not reading Drive A," but it had been reading it up to that point. Maybe the previous owner munged the disk somehow.

But I've got a CD on the way from Mystuff.com, so we'll see if that helps. I was looking through my Cyberguys catalog last night at various adapter cords; maybe I'll try to rig a "Miracle cable" with a DIN25 on the "computer end" so I can hook up to COM1 or whatever else isn't in use on that machine. Maybe even a wye cable, if serial gear can use those.

This could be the year I finally learn to read music. :cool:

--
Max
"Goodbye, boys. Have fun storming the castle!"
77-1107318133

Return to Miracle Piano and Other Piano Software