Midi settings for miracle?

Get help, exchange tips, replace software or just talk

Postby 77-1107318133 » Thu Feb 24, 2005 11:42 pm

Looking for more out of my Miracle and computer, I bought a MIDI-to-joystick cable. I may not have yet figured out the right way to configure the Windows Control Panel>Multimedia>MIDI setup. I lost the sound for the teaching program for awhile, but got it back. (I'm not sure how I lost it or "found" it.) It also temporarily refused to recognize notes I played when the program prompted me to play certain keys. That *might* have been due to a bad connection of the Miracle Cable to the computer's serial port, but I'm not sure. I also suspected a possible conflict with the "Scrambled Letters" fix, but that may not have been the problem. I don't use the Miracle and MIDI cables at the same time; I think I read somewhere that it could cause a conflict.

On that computer, I'm running Win98SE, with a Creative Sound Blaster® 16 audio card. The choices under "Single instrument" on the MIDI tab in Control Panel>Multimedia are Creative Music Synth [220]; SB16 MIDI Out [330]; and WaveSynth MIDI.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

--
Doug Clark
77-1107318133

Postby Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Ed » Fri Feb 25, 2005 9:00 am

Miracle_Max wrote:I don't use the Miracle and MIDI cables at the same time; I think I read somewhere that it could cause a conflict.

On that computer, I'm running Win98SE, with a Creative Sound Blaster® 16 audio card. The choices under "Single instrument" on the MIDI tab in Control Panel>Multimedia are Creative Music Synth [220]; SB16 MIDI Out [330]; and WaveSynth MIDI.

You can't use DOS Miracle with serial and MIDI cables at the same time; the software setup forces you to choose one or the other at setup. Check to make sure that have chosen the correct setup option for the cable you're using.

All the drivers you cited seem to be MIDI Out (i.e. computer sending MIDI signals TO the keyboard), rather than the MIDI In drivers you need to get the keyboard's signals to the computer to be recognized. You need to find and/or adjust your MIDI In drivers. :)
All religions, arts and sciences are branches of the same tree. All these aspirations are directed toward ennobling man's life, lifting it from the sphere of mere physical existence and leading the individual towards freedom. - Albert Einstein
Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Ed
Site Admin

Postby 77-1107318133 » Fri Feb 25, 2005 9:34 am

Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Editor wrote:You can't use DOS Miracle with serial and MIDI cables at the same time; the software setup forces you to choose one or the other at setup. Check to make sure that have chosen the correct setup option for the cable you're using.

Okay, I'll have to look at that again. I don't *remember* it asking which cable, but much of the setup process is now a blur to me anyway. :p
I've also had a heck of a time getting any more than some very basic (that is, "not what I was looking for") options from the Administration>Setup menu in the Conservatory.

All the drivers you cited seem to be MIDI Out (i.e. computer sending MIDI signals TO the keyboard), rather than the MIDI In drivers you need to get the keyboard's signals to the computer to be recognized. You need to find and/or adjust your MIDI In drivers. :)

That makes sense. I guess "find" is the operative word there. I just looked at a couple of the programs that came with the CD I bought via eBay, but I don't think they'd have the drivers.

Also, if the MIDI Out is operational (which it seems to be at the moment), would a .MID file somehow play over the Miracle (audio-wise, that is), or are those MIDI signals mentioned above for just patches, etc.?

Thanks again.

--
Doug
77-1107318133

Postby Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Ed » Fri Mar 04, 2005 8:46 am

Miracle_Max wrote:That makes sense. I guess "find" is the operative word there. I just looked at a couple of the programs that came with the CD I bought via eBay, but I don't think they'd have the drivers.

Also, if the MIDI Out is operational (which it seems to be at the moment), would a .MID file somehow play over the Miracle (audio-wise, that is), or are those MIDI signals mentioned above for just patches, etc.?

DOS Miracle comes with both MIDI In and MIDI Out drivers, but they will only be used if you configure the program for a MIDI cable, rather than the serial cable which comes with the system.

Subject to the caveat above, the MIDI Out should produce sound on the Miracle; at least it has on systems on which I've set up the Miracle. Moreover, even the Windows MIDI Mapper should be able to produce sound on the Miracle if you use it as the MIDI Out driver. :)
All religions, arts and sciences are branches of the same tree. All these aspirations are directed toward ennobling man's life, lifting it from the sphere of mere physical existence and leading the individual towards freedom. - Albert Einstein
Site Admin

Postby 77-1107318133 » Fri Mar 04, 2005 11:21 am

Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Editor wrote:DOS Miracle comes with both MIDI In and MIDI Out drivers, but they will only be used if you configure the program for a MIDI cable, rather than the serial cable which comes with the system.

Ah ha. Maybe I'll just have to start from "square one" again and look for that.

Subject to the caveat above, the MIDI Out should produce sound on the Miracle; at least it has on systems on which I've set up the Miracle. Moreover, even the Windows MIDI Mapper should be able to produce sound on the Miracle if you use it as the MIDI Out driver. :)

I now recall a few times when the computer said something about the MIDI Mapper being in use, so it couldn't do whatever I was trying to do at the time. That may show there's at least some recognition there, even if it's not being totally cooperative.

Maybe by Monday, when this Killer Cold I have has gone away (I hope), I'll be able to work on it some more.
Thanks again for all the info.

--
Doug
"If you ever wonder
How to shake your blues
Just follow this prescription
And get the cure for what's ailin' you" -- The Doctor, by The Doobie Brothers
77-1107318133

Postby byproduct » Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:09 pm

I've been trying to get my Miracle keyboard working with a USB-to-MIDI cable, using Miracle for Windows software, on a laptop running Windows 98, so far without success. It has been a tremendously frustrating experience, but I have progressed the farthest working with the Miracle so it's worth the effort.

Although the ultimate goal is to use the MIDI ports on my Roland digital piano, I have so far been unable to get the Miracle software to recognize the MIDI input from any keyboard when using this USB-MIDI cable. Note, I have no joystick port on the laptop, so USB is my only choice. Goal is to place laptop on top of the Roland and run through the lessons on the full-sized, weighted keys.

There is a utility that comes with the cable, along with the drivers, and when I run it, it hears the input from my Miracle keyboard on MIDI channel 8. When I run the Miracle software, it does not "hear" the keyboard, but it can send MIDI output TO the keyboard (i.e. the keyboard can play the music that Miracle sends to it).

Ironically, when I try using my Roland digital piano as the input device, and run the same utility, it transmits on a bunch of different MIDI channels (this does not seem right to me). I am able to set it to a specific MIDI Out channel, but the utility sees data on many MIDI channels.
When using the Roland in this way, as the input device, occasionally the Miracle software DOES receive input. I presume this is because it eventually jumps to a channel to which the Miracle is listening.

This leads me to wonder, what MIDI channel(s) is the Miracle software listening for? There seems to be no way to change the Miracle keyboard MIDI channel to test my theory.

I have browsed the postings here on this topic. In The Miracle software, I am able to set my USB-MIDI as the input and output MIDI devices. For MIDI input, there is only one choice, so trying others is not an option. The Win98 drivers all claim to be working correctly, and the driver installation worked fine. In Control panel, Multimedia, I selected my cable for the MIDI input. I don't know what else to try.

Some questions:
What MIDI channels does the software listen for?
Is it possible to use the MIDI-USB cable with Miracle for DOS?
Has anyone successfully used the Miracle software with a keyboard other than the Miracle keyboard?

Frustrated
:(
byproduct

Postby Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Ed » Fri Sep 07, 2007 8:45 am

According to the Miracle User's Guide, which you can download for free from PEP at the link provided here, the Miracle sends data on MIDI channel 1 and receives it on MIDI channels 1-8 (see Miracle Technical Data section of Guide).

Does your USB-MIDI cable provide support for DOS? I "think" the operating system loads support for USB ports at DOS, but, frankly, I don't recall for sure. If it does, I would suggest you reboot to the command prompt (press and hold F8 while the machine starts, then choose Boot to Command Prompt from the Boot menu). If DOS support is provided by driver(s), you'll have to edit your config.sys to load them at boot. Once at the command prompt, cd to your C:\MIRACLE directory and then type miracle. This should start the Miracle. If you have configured the Miracle software to use the General MIDI ports, you should have everything working at this point. If so, then you know that the problem is with Windows interfering. See my Miracle FAQ for information on how to deal with Windows driver issues.

Another worthwhile thing to try is to start Windows in Safe Mode (reboot, F8 again, Safe Mode from the boot menu). If things work properly in Safe Mode, it's proof that some 32-bit driver is interfering with the Miracle, since Safe Mode loads only the core drivers and leaves out most 32-bit ones.

The Miracle software doesn't present any special problems that I'm aware of when used with a MIDI cable and non-Miracle keyboard. Of course, the serial cable provided with the Miracle keyboard will NOT work. So long as the keyboard is compatible with the channels indicated above and the software is configured to use General MIDI, it should work fine.

You seem pretty knowledgeable, but I see one problem so often that I feel constrained to ask if you've tried switching the MIDI In and MIDI Out connections at the keyboard. People often misconnect them, since the MIDI specification doesn't specify different connectors for each port. Turn everything off, switch them and then reboot to check. If it doesn't help or makes things worse, turn everything off, switch them back and reboot.
Site Admin

Return to Miracle Piano and Other Piano Software