Repertoire for piano one hand - For cerebral palsy student

Share your experiences or ask for help with special needs students

Postby Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Ed » Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:50 pm

A friend of mine has a 16 year old with Cerebral Palsy with weakness on the right side. She loves to play the piano and keyboard and loves music, but it is difficult. Is there a listing of left hand only pieces? I know there are some but don't know how to find them.Thank you.

--------------
Joan

You came to the right place! We have an extensive listing here on PEP of pieces for piano one hand, mostly compiled by Ted Edel, one of our A/E Interviewees. The Repertoire for Piano One Hand page has a listing of well over a hundred works. :cool:
All religions, arts and sciences are branches of the same tree. All these aspirations are directed toward ennobling man's life, lifting it from the sphere of mere physical existence and leading the individual towards freedom. - Albert Einstein
Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Ed
Site Admin

Postby 108-1121887355 » Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:33 pm

Thank you for your quick reply. I did not think to look at PEP first for that information. I will check it out right now!
108-1121887355

Postby pianoannie » Tue Jan 10, 2006 8:01 pm

Joan, I also have a student with CP on her left side. She's 7, and fortunately her CP is mild enough that I am able to use music for both hands. But I am not able to use just anything and everything. Her LH 1 and 2 are very strong, but 3, 4, and 5 are each increasingly weak. But she has made good progress. Shortly before our Christmas break, she was able to play 5 notes in a row, legato, with her LH! It was a huge accomplishment for her!! But she is unable to hold her hand in a normal position as she plays, for example, the only way she can play LH 5 is to turn her hand to the side and press the key with most of the finger on its side (picture a "karate chop" to the piano--I don't mean she "whacks" the keys like a karate chop--that's just the position she holds her hand for LH 5).

I've assigned lots of hand exercises (both at and away from the piano) and she really has great determination, and it is slowly paying off. Let me know how your student is doing, and if you have any questions about mine.
annie
pianoannie

Postby Beckywy » Tue Jan 10, 2006 8:34 pm

I taught a student before who had some problems. He was born very premature so many features were not developed...The physical features that didn't develop were his eyes, his tongue, and his thumb and 5th finger of both hands. He played up to an intermediate level in piano with just his 2nd, 3rd and 4th finger. We stopped when his parents sent him to an institution in the US.
"The real purpose of studying music-to unite ourselves with our special gifts in such a way that one would add strength to the other" Seymour Bernstein
Beckywy

Postby Stretto » Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:11 am

I've heard of pianists who have temporarily injured a hand and were learning one-handed repertoire in the meantime.
Stretto

Return to Teaching Disabled Students