Dyslexia and piano

Share your experiences or ask for help with special needs students

Postby Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Ed » Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:28 am

I have a student who is just 8 years old and dyslexic. He is balking and having trouble reading music - he will memorize as quickly as possible. He knows the reading is hard for him and gets discouraged. I have not had a student like this in a while. Do you have some tips to help him?/me? I give him rote and familiar pieces and he puts chords, he knows, with the melody. His younger brother, 7, is beginning to read music, so it may become more of a problem.
Thank you
Joan

I have a student who use to read the music backwards - is that the same thing?
Beckywy

loveapiano
Beckywy,
Backwards.. really?Could make for an interesting new piece! What did you do?
I am not sure as I guess it could present itseelf in different ways. Ask Dr. Z. This boy has problems telling the difference between up and down on the staff. I have had students like this before. This is where you try hard to have them find success with music as school is often rough for them. This is where rote helps a lot! He has a good repertoire of memorized pieces with both hands.
Joan

I'm not really an expert on dyslexia (the disorder in which people perceive text as reversed or scrambled) and how to deal with it. I'll ask my wife, who teaches special ed. If she can help, I'll have her post on it.
All religions, arts and sciences are branches of the same tree. All these aspirations are directed toward ennobling man's life, lifting it from the sphere of mere physical existence and leading the individual towards freedom. - Albert Einstein
Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Ed
Site Admin

Postby 108-1121887355 » Thu Jan 12, 2006 11:56 am

Dr John,
I noted a reply on Jan 11th but did not see it? I was hoping your wife would be able to help. The young boy is getting tested today through the schools, so I will know more next week.
108-1121887355

Postby Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Ed » Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:01 pm

loveapiano wrote:Dr John,
I noted a reply on Jan 11th but did not see it? I was hoping your wife would be able to help. The young boy is getting tested today through the schools, so I will know more next week.

My wife has been "under the weather" so she hasn't been up to responding. I hope she can do so in the next couple days, although the school should be able to help as well.

Edited By Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Editor on 1137089601
All religions, arts and sciences are branches of the same tree. All these aspirations are directed toward ennobling man's life, lifting it from the sphere of mere physical existence and leading the individual towards freedom. - Albert Einstein
Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Ed
Site Admin

Postby 108-1121887355 » Thu Jan 12, 2006 9:15 pm

Thanks - I hope your wife is feeling well soon.
108-1121887355

Postby 76-1137910644 » Sun Jan 22, 2006 6:46 pm

If it helps at all, I'm slightly dyslexic. I usually only have problems if reading out loud, or comprehending some words at first.

I don't know how much help my advice will help, but what I find to help me is slowing down. Since I really don't play the piano currently, I can only speculate on this idea, but in my head, going back and playing a part that was played incorrectly might help, along with practice.

Usually, I don't have many problems with this if I'm reading a book to myself, but if I have to read a book out loud, I do mix things up.

As I said, I don't know this'll help or if it does, work with everyone. I jut know this help me.
76-1137910644

Postby 108-1121887355 » Sun Jan 22, 2006 8:00 pm

Landus,
Thank you very much for your input. I will help him work more slowly. He memorizes very quickly, but the note reading is hard for him. He has trouble with seeing notes up and down on the staff. May try some theory sheets, so he can write them out himself.
Thanks again. Joan
108-1121887355

Postby 108-1121887355 » Thu Jun 01, 2006 11:47 am

End of year and the now 9 year old is still having problems reading. His piece, of 2 weeks, begins E D C going down in treble clef. He knows it is C but plays the high C!. Of course he does not practice enough at home, but just from my going over with him (he memorizes quickly) he should have it - also he must not be listening to the sound!? Maybe it is time for him to go with his sports. He does anjoy music. Next year the 4th graders can choose an instrument. Maybe that will keep him going.

Any help would be appreciate. In the past I have taught a lot of rote for this problem, written in notes, and work to memorise. I know they are having problems in school too, so I work hard to have success in music.
108-1121887355

Postby 108-1121887355 » Tue Aug 29, 2006 1:05 pm

I have a young boy who uses a hearing aid. I have just met him once. I sat on the side where he hears best, according to his Mom. He followed directions well. I don't know if he will start lessons, but if so, how should I best determined what he is capable of hearing?

My first thought is to approach as all other students, but maybe that is unfair to him. As I begin with a rote aproach, a lot is based on listening.

Thanks for any ideas.
108-1121887355

Return to Teaching Disabled Students