Moderator Control Panel ]

Post approval - Now required for guest forums

Read announcements, talk to the PEP staff, make comments and suggestions

Moderator: Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Ed

Postby Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Ed » Tue Nov 07, 2006 9:06 am

Guests and Members who post to the few forums which are open to guest posting will now see a short delay in the appearance of their posts. I have had to implement this change because spammers, located in Ukraine, Russia, China and Korea mostly, where U.S. laws on spamming are ignored, have begun to spam the forums open to guest posting on a regular basis. The delay is for pre-approval of all posts in those forums. I hope our visitors will understand the need for this pre-approval. Those forums which require membership in the Board to post will be unaffected by this change; posts in those forums (the majority of those on the Board) will appear immediately. :(

Edited By Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Editor on 1162912669
All religions, arts and sciences are branches of the same tree. All these aspirations are directed toward ennobling man's life, lifting it from the sphere of mere physical existence and leading the individual towards freedom. - Albert Einstein
Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Ed
Site Admin

Postby Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Ed » Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:08 am

I have now found a way to allow all Member groups' posts to bypass the approval process, put in place mostly to stop spammers, while still maintaining approval for Guest posts in those few forums open to Guest posting. Now, all Board members of any member group can post directly to the Board, without the post needing approval.

Please keep in mind that all Members are required to observe the Board's policies in their post content. Board policies can be found in Help (Acceptable Uses and Board Policies). Thanks to the Member whose inquiries about this matter spurred me to do a thorough search for a way of implementing this change. :;):
All religions, arts and sciences are branches of the same tree. All these aspirations are directed toward ennobling man's life, lifting it from the sphere of mere physical existence and leading the individual towards freedom. - Albert Einstein
Site Admin

Postby Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Ed » Wed May 30, 2007 9:04 am

The spamming has become so bad in the forums open to guest posting that I have had to eliminate the ability for Guests to post entirely.

Members can post in any forum. Becoming a member takes only a couple minutes to fill out the form and a few more minutes for the membership approval on most days.

If you have some thing to say, but don't want to become a member, you can send it to me by PM or e-mail. Just click anyplace you see my name underlined and you'll be taken to my Profile, where you can send me a PM or e-mail.
Site Admin

Postby Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Ed » Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:52 am

After a long battle, I have gotten spamming under control again, so I have re-enabled Guest posting in four forums (fora): Topic of Note, PEP Editor's Forum, Young Students and Music Talk. Guests may reply to any thread in Topic of Note, but not start threads. In the other three forums, they can start threads, too. All Guest posts will require pre-approval, until I'm certain that the steps I've taken have eliminated posting of objectionable material by spammers. Member posts will be able to bypass the pre-approval and will see their postings appear immediately. I hope that the opportunity to post in discussions in these three forums will encourage Guests to register so that they can participate in all the nearly 20 forums. :)

Edited By Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Editor on 1186077807
Site Admin

Postby missy » Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:49 pm

Hey, I'm a new member, and I've come across something odd...I can't create threads. I haven't found any that have anything to do with what I would like to ask, so...yeah...what do I do now?
missy

Postby Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Ed » Thu May 01, 2008 7:25 am

missy wrote:Hey, I'm a new member, and I've come across something odd...I can't create threads. I haven't found any that have anything to do with what I would like to ask, so...yeah...what do I do now?

Actually, as it says repeatedly in the registration information you saw when you registered, your registration has to be approved before you are a Member and can start new threads. I used to allow people to join without approval, but had to stop that a few years ago when spammers started to spam this (and many other frequently-visited boards) with all kinds of objectionable stuff. By the time you read this, your membership will have been approved and you can then post at will, subject to the same terms, policies and conditions mentioned in the registration information. If you'd like to review that stuff again, you can find it all in the board Help.
Site Admin

Postby missy » Sun May 04, 2008 4:42 pm

Hahaha, i'm SO smrt! Thanks.
missy

Return to Piano Education Page Editors' Forum