Moderator Control Panel ]

How do i ...? forum - Interested?

Read announcements, talk to the PEP staff, make comments and suggestions

Moderator: Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Ed

Postby Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Ed » Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:07 am

I've been giving some thought to starting another forum, tentatively called How Do I ...? This forum would be a place where members could ask specific and definite questions about how to carry out a certain task best (introduce sight reading, teach certain elements of technique, record on a computer, etc.). Answers would be in the form of step-by-step instructions, provided by any Member with the knowledge. This proposed forum would not be the place for long discussions about teaching methods or philosophy, or any other topic whose answer cannot be summarized in a step-by-step format. These broader topics are better placed in other forums (or fora, for those who speak Latin).

Another option would be to start a set articles on the main part of the site of the same type and focus. This option may be somewhat less attractive in that people would have to wait to get answers to their questions.
All religions, arts and sciences are branches of the same tree. All these aspirations are directed toward ennobling man's life, lifting it from the sphere of mere physical existence and leading the individual towards freedom. - Albert Einstein
Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Ed
Site Admin

Postby Stretto » Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:31 pm

Sounds like a good idea. It reminds me of my Reader's Digest "How to do just About Anything" book or "Ask the Experts" sites.

Except I'm trying to think what areas in teaching and learning piano can be explained well step-by-step. One might be "How to break up a new piece to practice." "How to memorize a piece." In general, "How to practice." "How to compose a piece." "How to begin improvising."

Edited By Stretto on 1173324289
Stretto

Postby Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Ed » Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:07 am

Stretto wrote:Except I'm trying to think what areas in teaching and learning piano can be explained well step-by-step. One might be "How to break up a new piece to practice." "How to memorize a piece." In general, "How to practice." "How to compose a piece." "How to begin improvising."

You're certainly right that many areas of pedagogy couldn't be done easily this way. That's the basis of my request that such a forum deal with concrete, well-defined questions that could be answered in Q and A or stepwise format. It might even be the case that different people might offer different steps for the same action. We get so many requests from people who just want instructions, without the "piddling details", that I thought such a forum might be a service for a lot of people.
All religions, arts and sciences are branches of the same tree. All these aspirations are directed toward ennobling man's life, lifting it from the sphere of mere physical existence and leading the individual towards freedom. - Albert Einstein
Site Admin

Postby 108-1121887355 » Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:27 pm

Sounds good to me - give it a try.

ie How to begin sight reading:

1. become familiar with the keyboard
2. learn simple songs on the keyboard, rote, noting the patterns - (steps, skips, repeated notes)
3. read a familiar piece from the music, noting patterns
4. read a new piece, noting patterns before playing
5. Pick out similar patterns in a piece; find intervals; find phrases.

Would that work?
108-1121887355

Postby Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Ed » Fri Mar 09, 2007 8:53 am

loveapiano wrote:ie How to begin sight reading:

1. become familiar with the keyboard
2. learn simple songs on the keyboard, rote, noting the patterns - (steps, skips, repeated notes)
3. read a familiar piece from the music, noting patterns
4. read a new piece, noting patterns before playing
5. Pick out similar patterns in a piece; find intervals; find phrases.

Would that work?

I would think that that's a start, though I would think one would have to be more specific than "become familiar with the keyboard", for example. In fact, that could become it's own topic, with detailed descriptions of what to do and how to do it. Providing detailed descriptions is harder than it sounds (e.g. see my 13 step description in the Audio/Video thread in Topic of Note of how to transfer and edit a tape recording on the computer).

I envision the forum (though my vision is sometimes misty :D ) as one in which people could ask questions about how to accomplish certain tasks in a specific thread devoted to that one topic. Knowledgeable people could provide the answers. Anyway, I'm looking for input on whether this is worthwhile before I start the forum.
Site Admin

Return to Piano Education Page Editors' Forum