Moderator Control Panel ]

Forums terminated - Effective now

Read announcements, talk to the PEP staff, make comments and suggestions

Moderator: Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Ed

Postby Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Ed » Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:08 am

After much consideration, occurring over several years, I have concluded that the Forums simply take too much of my limited time to maintain, given the small number of posters. I had hoped that these forums would provide a medium where thoughtful, wide-ranging and collegial discussions regarding piano and piano teaching could take place in an ad-free environment. That may have been accomplished to a degree, but others apparently did not find it as enjoyable and helpful as I had hoped. Although other forums might not provide the same kind of environment, there are now many other options online for piano teachers and students to offer opinions and help to each other.

I am discontinuing the Forums, effectively immediately. I thank all those who have taken the time to help others by posting and particularly those who have served as forum moderators. The main part of PEP will continue to be available. I will eliminate links on the main part of the site to the Forums as soon as I can get it done. Thanks again to all those who have shown an interest in the Forums over the years.

Edited By Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Editor on 1239902291
All religions, arts and sciences are branches of the same tree. All these aspirations are directed toward ennobling man's life, lifting it from the sphere of mere physical existence and leading the individual towards freedom. - Albert Einstein
Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Ed
Site Admin

Postby celia » Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:37 pm

Sorry to hear the forums have closed, although I have posted more questions than answers, I have found them to be very helpful and encouraging since I started piano teaching last May and thankyou to everyone who has offered encouragement and advice particularly Becibu and Dr Zeigler. Best wishes everyone.
celia

Postby Tranquillo » Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:53 pm

Its sad to hear that you wanted to end the forum. Thank you for your service John, I hope that you can keep a portion open for now so that some of us can exchange email adress' though personal messaging. The content within the forums is quite rich, are you planning on saving the content by anyway?

Celia it's been really good to exchange information to you, I would say the same with Stretto and piannissimo as well as pianogal and ofcourse, John.
Music is organised sound
Tranquillo

Postby Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Ed » Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:44 am

Thanks for your comments, Celia and Becibu. You can still use all the functions of the Board available to Members; you just can't access the Forums, except the Editor's Forum. There is no way to keep the content available, per se, without simply re-opening the Forums. Doing that would mean I would have to spend at least an hour a day, every day, as I have for the past 6 years, just maintaining the Forums (dealing with registrations, deleting spammer garbage, tracking down and banning spammers, removing ad content, creating backups, etc.). Without this daily work the Forums would be unusable within a week, overwhelmed with spam and worthless advertising from the least scrupulous members of the piano community (at least, I'm sure they think of themselves as members of that community). Of course, this work is in addition to all the work required to run the main part of the site.

As you probably know, I am, far and away, the most active poster on the Forums, and that I sometimes use material from my posts on the Forums as the basis for expanded articles on the main part of PEP. I will continue to do that; indeed, I have such an article ready to go up in the next day or so on forming and operating a music teachers organization. Of course, there are some areas of piano and piano pedagogy in which I'm not an expert and don't write about. These areas on the Forums will be available to me only, since the Forums databases and software will not be deleted, just strongly restricted.

Even though over 50 other pianists and pedagogues have written for the main part of the site, I started the Forums to provide a means for many more pianists and piano teachers to have meaningful input into PEP's content. I have tried to make sure that the best of that additional input was seen by others by creating a number of special, highlighted threads with links to the best content. I have also included direct links on the home page of PEP to the best Forums content monthly. Sadly, too few people have availed themselves of the opportunity to be heard in this way.

I have found the Forums stimulating to my own thinking and helpful in providing ideas for content on the main part of PEP. I have read virtually all of the nearly 6900 posts on the Forums, as well as a similar number of spam and advertising posts which I have deleted. Perhaps the most stimulating part of the Forums has been the disagreements! They constitute the essence of why I started the Forums - an opportunity for people to broaden their knowledge, thinking and outlooks. I don't know if it has worked that way for others, but it sure has for me! :)

Edited By Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Editor on 1239994812
All religions, arts and sciences are branches of the same tree. All these aspirations are directed toward ennobling man's life, lifting it from the sphere of mere physical existence and leading the individual towards freedom. - Albert Einstein
Site Admin

Postby 112-1182392787 » Sun Apr 19, 2009 1:38 pm

I, too, am sorry to see this feature go. But as a moderator of another forum, I know all too well how much goes into maintaining such a thing - and there we work as a team! Many thanks from all of us for the work you have put into this over the years.
112-1182392787

Postby Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Ed » Sun Apr 19, 2009 2:00 pm

pianissimo wrote:I, too, am sorry to see this feature go. But as a moderator of another forum, I know all too well how much goes into maintaining such a thing - and there we work as a team! Many thanks from all of us for the work you have put into this over the years.

We had moderators, too (and good ones!) on this Forums board. I have already thanked them in particular in an earlier post in this thread. The problem is that, while the moderators are extremely valuable and greatly appreciated by me, they simply can't help with all the duties I mentioned, as that would require intimate knowledge of the workings of the Forums software kernel and control functions. Thank you for the appreciation! :)

Edited By Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Editor on 1240495501
Site Admin

Return to Piano Education Page Editors' Forum